What is the purpose of these holes on the back side of my hood?

Started by KYBlueOval, 2023-08-03 05:05

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

Working on my hood,and notice that there are two holes,on the backside of the hood,at the firewall end of the hood,and wonder what purpose do they serve? I should point out,that the photos below,are from a spare hood,not the hood I'm working on,as it is 30 miles away,and I forgot to take a photo, when I was there yesterday. In comparing the hood I'm working on to the photos below of the spare hood, the driver's side holes are identical in shape, and location, but the passenger side holes are very different in shape, but in the same location. My guess is that the difference in the shape of the holes can be attributed to different assembly plants and obviously different stampings.

Regardless of what these holes look like,do I need them? Why are they there? Can I weld them up?
Thanks!
John
The photos are from the spare hood. Driver's side is the first photo.

Lgcustom

I'm speculating those are drain holes and could be used as locator holes for fixture pins during assembly.

RICH MUISE

I agree.........drain holes. I wouldn't weld them up.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

On the assembly line how were the hoods installed? I was thinking the holes were for perhaps hooks and straps for the installation.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Lgcustom

They could be used for hooks on a hoist at assembly. But I think the primary thing would be to locate the inner to the hood skin in the stamping plant? As an aside note, did you know the front clip was assembled upside down  off line. So, the fenders, inner fenders, radiator support, radiator, grille and front splash pan were dropped on the car as a sub-assembly.

Ecode70D

If you weld them, it will hold condensation.  That will cause rot that you do not need. 

KYBlueOval