News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

easy fix for loose outside mirrors.

Started by RICH MUISE, 2023-09-26 15:30

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

A few months ago John/KYBlueoval asked about my outside (Chevy) mirrors. Among other things, he asked if I had a problem with looseness, which I didn't at the time, but my passenger side mirror started being pushed down at highway speeds and actually got real loose pretty quick. I got on YOUTUBE and read about several fixes, but one in particular caught my attention. It was simply using an automatic center punch and moving the mirror to an extreme position, and doing 3 or 4 dimples on the ball. The dimpling, of course, raised the metal on the ball so when it was moved back, it was very tight!! Took literally less than 2 minutes and holds tight.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

Lynn

hiball3985

Thanks Rich, I'm going to try that. I have aftermarket Chevy mirrors and they suck
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Haha..well, they are Chevy mirrors. I covered my bowtie logos with Ford embossed aluminum blue oval stickers. I'm really surprised they've stayed stuck all these years. I think they we originally produced for addition to the aluminum door sills.....just needed the blue oval cut out with scissors from the rectangular sticker.
My mirrors were made by Fargo if I remember correctly. Chrome and glass have held up exceptionally well.

RICH MUISE

I put 700 miles on the car this past weekend, mostly at 70+mph, and the mirror stayed right where it was when I left.

Tom S

Rich, where did you get these 'Ford embossed aluminum blue oval stickers' & what did you use to stick 'em to your brand x mirrors.

djfordmanjack

Great fix Rich !
even the more expensive aftermarket mirrors come loose after some years.
Those were the times when you could actually fasten a mirror head with a Philips head screw.... :002:

I have an alternate solution. Putting the mirror in correct position and draining the ball/opening slot with extra thin super glue. Will be good for a year or more and the head can even be moved and will still be tight for several adjustments, because the hardened superglue will act like a plastic or vinyl spacer. Refill super glue any time you like or need to...  :003:

RICH MUISE

Quote from: Tom S on 2023-10-21 18:48Rich, where did you get these 'Ford embossed aluminum blue oval stickers' & what did you use to stick 'em to your brand x mirrors.
They are a Bob Drake product I got from Classic Auto Parts in Oklahoma City. They are a self adhesive embossed aluminum, and I believe they were made for the aluminum door sill plates. They come in two sizes, these are the smaller size. Sorry, I don't know what car/year/model they were made for. They are a rectangular sticker that is easily cut out with sharp scissors or Xacto knife.