News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

plumbing rear disks

Started by terry_208, 2023-10-20 17:01

Previous topic - Next topic

terry_208

How have those with crown vic/explorer rear disks plumbed them? 

I want to hard line them, as the og 57's, but I'm having trouble locating a fitting to replace the flex line with the attached banjo fitting.  It appears to be metric threads.

The Grand Marques used a flex line to each caliper coming down from the frame.  If I followed that arrangement, the brake lines would be in close proximity to the exhaust.

Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to do the plumbing?

Thanks!
Terry

gasman826

I have routed both ways.  The caliper to frame route is more difficult to keep the flex line from interfering with shocks, exhaust and frame.  The caliper to rear end housing is the better route.  The second route does require three flex lines but makes for a better install. 

As far as metric vs SAE threads, I have found calipers with either thread.  Good sets of thread gauges are a requirement.

terry_208

Quote from: gasman826 on 2023-10-21 08:27As far as metric vs SAE threads, I have found calipers with either thread.  Good sets of thread gauges are a requirement.

Do you know the size and pitch of the metric threads? 

I took both the caliper and hose to the supply house and used their gauges without success.  On the Marques the flex hoses have a banjo fitting at the caliper. I'm trying to find out the threads in the caliper so I can try to locate tubing nuts for hard lines.  I really want to use a single flex hose like was used on the 57.
Terry

59meteor

Are you saying that you want to eliminate the short rubber flex hose going to each caliper? Do NOT do that! The rear calipers are floating, and as the calipers apply and release, they move slightly, and also as the brake pads wear, and get thinner, the flex hose allows the caliper to slide to compensate for that wear.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

mustang6984

Quote from: 59meteor on 2023-10-23 17:03Are you saying that you want to eliminate the short rubber flex hose going to each caliper? Do NOT do that! The rear calipers are floating, and as the calipers apply and release, they move slightly, and also as the brake pads wear, and get thinner, the flex hose allows the caliper to slide to compensate for that wear.

I had not added anything to this discussion until now...because I am not overly familiar with all of this. BUT...I was thinking about brakes on my vehicles, and seems like the factory must know something about WHY they used rubber lines as opposed to hard lines. The caliper movement was what I was thinking...not knowing anything. Glad to see I was correct.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

terry_208

That's a great point.  I never thought about the movement of the caliper although it makes perfect sense.

Another question here:  Were spacers required behind the bearing retainer to compensate for the thickness of the backing plate?
Terry

gasman826

Behind the bearing...yes.

gasman826