News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

rack and pinion steering

Started by fordlover84, 2009-11-04 19:21

Previous topic - Next topic

fordlover84

I have a ford fairlane 500 that I'm going to rebuild. Do you have any suggestions on where to get the rack and pinion. The only person we found was Rick Wurth.

KidKourier

Try (bulldog57@charter.net) or John at (815)742-6325 they make a bolt in kit for '57's that is just like Wurths but your able to actually get in touch with someone and they have great customer service and will help you with any questions you may have with the install!(Took me about an hour to install with basic hand tools) KID

KidKourier

P.S.--- Wildhog who's on this site is producing this kit (Tom--(815)871-8017) KID

johns2000

ABS sells a 567 power steering box that mounts up with no modifications, ( you do have to cut down your steering column but I was adding a ididit column anyway ) very simple to install and you retain all of your turning radius. I've seen and talked to guy's who have installed the R/P deals and every one of them say you loose quite a bit. I think theres one other member besides myself who has the ABS steering box and I highly recommend it. My wagon never had P/S and this uses your original drag link and other componets, all you need to do is add a saginaw teardrop style pump and hoses and your good to go.

fordlover84

Quote from: johns2000 on 2009-11-06 08:57
ABS sells a 567 power steering box that mounts up with no modifications, ( you do have to cut down your steering column but I was adding a ididit column anyway ) very simple to install and you retain all of your turning radius. I've seen and talked to guy's who have installed the R/P deals and every one of them say you loose quite a bit. I think theres one other member besides myself who has the ABS steering box and I highly recommend it. My wagon never had P/S and this uses your original drag link and other componets, all you need to do is add a saginaw teardrop style pump and hoses and your good to go.

Will this ABS 567 steering box claer the exhaust of my 390 engine.

wildhog

I HAVE A 605 SAGINAW BOX IN MY 57 RAGTOP WITH A 390 IT LAYS SO CLOSE TO THE HEADERS IT BOILS THE OIL OUT OF THE TOP, ALSO IS A VERY SOFT FEEL TO IT ALMOST LIKE IT OVER POWERED. TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

fordlover84

Quote from: wildhog on 2009-11-06 22:09
I HAVE A 605 SAGINAW BOX IN MY 57 RAGTOP WITH A 390 IT LAYS SO CLOSE TO THE HEADERS IT BOILS THE OIL OUT OF THE TOP, ALSO IS A VERY SOFT FEEL TO IT ALMOST LIKE IT OVER POWERED. TOM

ARE YOU COMFORTABLE WITH IT, DO YOU LIKE IT? :burnout: ALSO, WHAT MOTOR MOUNT DID YOU USE WITH YOU 390.

wildhog

FOR MOTOR MOUNTS USE 1958 FORD 332 MOUNTS, THIS WAS THE F.E. MOTOR THE NEXT YEAR SO THEY BOLT RIGHT IN .. I AM RUNNING A 67 G.T. 390 ,C-6, WITH 2 FOURS. CAM AND HEADERS. MAKES A GOOD CRUISER COMPO. ALSO HAVE 3.50 GEARS. I AM NOT HAPPY WITH THE FEEL OF THE POWER BOX, AND AM INTALING RACK AND PINNION THIS WINTER. ALSO THING OF PULLING THE MOTOR AND TRANS, AND GOING BACK TO A Y-BLOCK. TOM

johns2000

Quote from: fordlover84 on 2009-11-06 19:41

It should call and ask them, this isn't a modified box like some 605's, it works great and has a great feel to it.

fordlover84

Quote from: fordlover84 on 2009-11-06 19:41

Is ABS the only company that sells this box or are there other companies?
:001:

cool57

"ABS sells a 567 power steering box that mounts up with no modifications, ( you do have to cut down your steering column but I was adding a ididit column anyway ) very simple to install and you retain all of your turning radius. I've seen and talked to guy's who have installed the R/P deals and every one of them say you loose quite a bit. I think theres one other member besides myself who has the ABS steering box and I highly recommend it. My wagon never had P/S and this uses your original drag link and other componets, all you need to do is add a saginaw teardrop style pump and hoses and your good to go."

Wildhog, what say you?

wildhog

TO ANSWER COOL 57 I AM SURE THE 567 BOX WORKS FINE, BUT REMEMBER YOU ARE HOOKING THIS UP TO 50 YEAR PARTS THAT COULD BE WORN OUT. INNER AND OUTER TIE RODS DRAG LINKS,AND IDDLER ARM. WITH A RACK AND PINNION KIT THIS IS ALL INCLUDED WITH KIT. A RACK ALSO GIVES YOU LESS TURNS CENTER TO CENTER FOR QUICKER STEERING. AS FAR AS THE TURNING RADIUS LOSS IT IS MINNIMAL AND YOU HAVE TO SET A STOP ON ONE SIDE TO KEEP IT FROM TURING TO SHORT.THE BIGGEST ADVANTAGE TO THE R&P IS YOU ELIMINATE THE STEERING BOX THE 605 AND 567 ARE STILL VERY LARGE IF YOU ARE TRYING TO SNAKE A LARGE DIAM. HEADER WITH A BIG BLOCK ,PAST IT. I ALSO HAVE TALKED TO GUYS THAT HAVE BUILT THERE OWN R&P'S AND HAVE LOST TURNING RADIUS, SIMMPLY BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T KNOW WHAT THEY WERE DOING. ONE GUY HAD A R&P OFF A SMALL CHRYLER AND YOU COUND'T TURN IT AROUND IN A 40 ACRE FIELD. IF ANY ONE HAS ANY QUESTIONS ON A R&P POST HERE OR USE MY HOME E- MAIL AND I WILL TRY TO HELP TOM

bagboy

I have a wurth-in rack in my 57RW. Yes, stearing radius is different-but,I put bigger tires on and made stops on a -arm. Sure drives good !!!!   ps Watch out for GM 605 rebuilders.                     

fordlover84

Quote from: bagboy on 2009-11-17 10:41
I have a wurth-in rack in my 57RW. Yes, stearing radius is different-but,I put bigger tires on and made stops on a -arm. Sure drives good !!!!   ps Watch out for GM 605 rebuilders.                     

This wurth-rack-who makes it. Is it bolt in, and/or hard to install. :001: I would like to know that because I am a carpenter not a mechanic.
:004:

bagboy

Wurth-it designs  Not real hard,colume mods And u-joints hardest.Check web site tell Rick  Tom sent you