News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

car insurance

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2012-06-11 07:46

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

hi,  right now i have Haggertyy,   but we got a sales pitch from Grundy yesterday at a car show,    what are the opinions out there,  pros and cons?,  thanks   jerry

Ford Blue blood

I have Haggerty right now.  Have not ever had a claim so I can't speak to that.  As has been said in the past....your insurance is only as good as how they handle a claim.  I am pleased with the service I get from them and find their restrictions easier to live with.

Folks that have had claims could better answer this.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57 imposter

I wanted to get a quote from Grundy so I went online and entered all the required info and just as I pushed the submit button my eye caught the statement that said " by submitting this request, you are authorizing up to eight independent agents to contact you."  The junk mail started within 15 minutes I even got one from a State Farm agent.  All My stuff is already insured with State Farm.   Haven't tried Haggarty but every time I have compared identical coverage with any other ins. company, no one has matched State Farm prices. 

\

shopratwoody

I have American Collectors. They just paid 12,300 to fix my Ranchero. I'm happy
with them so far :003:
I hate blocksanding!

geraldchainsaw

i just got a quote from Gundy,   $280.00 cheaper then what i'm paying now,  the only thing i can c thats better is the towing,   but now i'm going to check with State Farm,   thanks for the info,     jerry

suede57ford

I personally have Grundy on 9 Collector Fords right now.  My parents and brothers also use them on their collections.  It has some nice features as the agreed value thing and no mileage restrictions is very easy.  I even keep some project cars covered as they put a $5000 value on them and it is really cheap to keep them covered as well.

I recently had a problem with Grundy. Normally, they send you a bill once a year, and this year it went up more than I expected. Two months later a received another bill for an additional significant rate increase. I went ahead and paid it, as I did not want to loose coverage.  Afterwards I called them and they finally admitted that they has a miscalculation error and that I actually did not owe the second bill I had paid.  I finally recieved my refund last week but it was frustrating as it took many calls and I was afraid that with that increase it was getting unaffordable to have so many insured.

I personally have not had a claim. but last year my parents did on their '58 Retractable.  It had a rear wheel fire on the way to GoodGuys Ft. Worth, and burned up the quarter panel, trunk wiring, trim, and some of the trunk.  They were very fair easy to deal with, the estimate was accurate, all costs were covered, and I was very happy with the final results of the claim.

Overall we have had good luck with one very well handled claim, but one major billing error.

57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

JimNolan

Quote from: geraldchainsaw on 2012-06-11 10:31
i just got a quote from Gundy,   $280.00 cheaper then what i'm paying now,  the only thing i can c thats better is the towing,   but now i'm going to check with State Farm,   thanks for the info,     jerry
Jerry,
  If you don't drive your car except for Sunday drives and going to or from a car show, pick the cheapest insurance company and go with it. State Farm is the same. I've insured everything I have through State Farm but they won't insure my classic cars. I've got quotes from every insurance company there is out there and I've only found one that would insure my cars for how I use them. And, if I get a fender bender in a walmart parking lot it's going to be insured. I pay $581 for both cars with a 6000 mileage limitation on each one and a $35,000 agreed value. Hagarty was the only company other than the one I'm with that would let me drive my cars with more freedom. But, they wanted over $1,000.00 for the annual premium.
  Most of my buddies go with the cheapest policy available and hope for the best. I on the other hand expect the worst and prepare for it.  My insurance company is American Modern Home with the Insurance Broker being Heacock Insurance out of Burns, Tn. The people at American Modern told me that they let Heacock set their own policy limitations on a case by case basis. An example of this is when I told them I did the mechanical work and cleaning of my cars at my hanger at the Warsaw Airport. Thus, I'd be driving either of the cars up and down the road almost every day and I might be stopping to get groceries, run errands or go out to eat on any given day on my way to the airport. They wanted pictures of the hanger, inside and out along with lots of pictures of the cars. I always put over 10,000 miles a year on the 57, but with two cars I just spit the difference. It's working out so far. My advice to you is read the policy limitations and see if you can live with them. If so, go with the cheapest one. If on the other hand you don't want to take chances by driving your car more than the policy allows, shop around.  Jim  PS  I'll tell you something you may not know about State Farm. If you don't have full coverage on a vehicle and you have comprehensive coverage ( in case a deer jumps in front of your car ), they limit the amount of coverage to $2,500. They'll also charge you new car premiums for full coverage on an old vehicle that they could declare totaled for a smaller amount of payoff.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Ford Blue blood

I did have State Farm on my 36 years ago.  The rates were comparable to other companies.  (It should be noted this was almost 20 years ago and the collector insurance industry has changed considerably.)  I was very pleased with the service I got on two claims with them.  (Both were not my/wifes fault)  After I quit State Farm I went with USAA (much lower rates for my dailys and house) I started looking for collector type.  Farmers has good rates but you have to have your house or daily drivers with them and the local agent (old car owner) looked at taking me on but said he couldn't come close to USAA and recommended Hagarty due to my annual milage and usage.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

geraldchainsaw

sorry guys,  made a mistake & don't know how i did it.     actually the quote was only 110 higher then hagerty,   sometimes i'm just not thinking right.          this is what i have with hagerty,    my 51 is insured for 12,000,  my 69 mach 1 is insured for 21,000,  and the 57 ford conv i have insured foir 38,000,  cost for the year is 780.00,    i've been told that i can drive to the root beer stands,  car shows etc,  no milage limit,  and of course our cars are always kept in the garage,  and not driven in the winter months,  thats at least most of us,   i probly don't drive combined a 1000 miles a year if that,  guess i'll stick with Hagerty.   O,  somthing else,  i remembered that with Gundy they do give a l.ow quote to draw u in,  and then it goes up after that like someone said,       O,  forgot something else,  i got my fist trophy yesterday with the 57.     Jerry

shopratwoody

Congrats on the Trophy Jerry :003:
I hate blocksanding!

57AGIN

Jerry:

Way to go.  The first one is always remembered, kind of like the first love.

Bob
57 AGIN