News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Veterans Day

Started by wildhog, 2012-11-11 10:41

Previous topic - Next topic

wildhog

Happy, Veterans Day. Thanks Guys!!!!
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

57 Ford Kustom

Yes, definitely Happy Veteran's day, A day that the kid's don't have school and don't know why! It's sad, but true. I served in the Army, and made sure my kid's know what it's about, they had to tell several of their friend's at school because they didn't have a clue!
Thanks,
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

JPotter57

Happy Veterans day fellows, thank you for your service!
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

alvin stadel

Yes happy veterans day,  but on a sad note this goes along with what 57 Ford Custom had to say. I'm a general contractor and have twin sons that are both career Army, one is a cav scout the other is a journalist ,or as he calls it public affairs.  Jason the journalist, just finished a story on the tomb of the unknown soldier, He was sent to DC and given clearance to be with or "hang ' with the gaurds of the tomb. Last Tues. one of our sub contrators, a painter, in his early 40's was in the office and asked me how my sons were doing, and I told him. Kyle just got back from his 5th tour  and that Jason had just finished his story on the tomb of the unknown. With this I was asked, what is the Tomb of the unknown  soldier, so I told him. The next ? was were is this at, I told him, Arllington Cemetery, and his last ? was where is Arllington. Now my ? to you guys were have we gone wrong?

Zapato

When I was in high school the worst teacher I ever had was a government sponsored draft dodger. Lots of guys avoiding the draft with student deferments and then avoided it even longer by getting hired as teachers. These guys were the total opposites of a lot of great teachers who while had no love for war having served in WW2 and were saddened that another generation was being offered up stood by us. Lots of the jerks were constantly spouting leftist garbage. And along with that no love for country or service personnel. Years later was reading the paper and who would you guess had sucked his way into some plush school administration job. You're right if you guessed that awful teacher. My grand daughter knows I'm a Viet Nam (notice its 2 words, not 1) vet and every year on this day she thanks me for my service. So Alvin what you're talking about doesn't surprise me at all. The schools don't teach it because the jerks have taken over and many parents have forgotten ,or are too lazy, that they are the childrens' primary teachers.

Its up to all of us to pass on the stories not the schools. its obvious to me they while sucking every red cent from us they can they are failing another generation. You also have to remember on average only .5% percent of us step up and answer the call. That's right half of 1% serve 99,5% stay home. Sad but true.

Anyway thank you all who served and are serving. To my Viet Nam brothers Welcome Home.

Zap- :unitedstates:

Just curious how many of you might know whose land was appropriated by the feds for Arlington ? You southern guys should know this one.
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

frosty

Zapato
It was General Robert E Lee, they took the land from for Arlington National Cemetery.

RICH MUISE

Alvin..."where have we gone wrong?"...My wife is a career vet, I am not. I couldn't pass the Army induction physical during the Viet Nam era, but that said, probably a bit of everything. Maybe the teachers, maybe parents, maybe guys like me who don't know half of the American history that guys like Zap knows, maybe the not-so-little stuff we let slide on a daily basis, maybe too many immigrants who don't want to be part of the American culture ( all this multi-language stuff really pisses me off).
I think it's one of the reasons why so many of us are into American classic cars...it's the hot dogs and apple pie stuff as much if not more than the cars themselves.
OK..I got off on a rant...what I really wanted to say was one of the things that isn't wrong with this country ..... guys like Zapato. For those of you who may not know, Zap and his family  immigrated from Cuba when he was very young. As he mentioned, he is a Vietnam vet, and rightfully proud of it, and anyone who has been on this forumn knows how much he loves this country. No badmouthing America, or constantly talking about how wonderful it was in the old country. Sure, he is proud of his heritage, but I for one am proud to call him a friend and a fellow American. Zap.,. thanks for your ongoing service to this country.
Thanks to the rest of the Veterans here also. I didn't mean to slight you in any way..just every once in a while you need to single someone out.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

geraldchainsaw

to all the vets out there,  & i'm 1 also,   a big thanks for your service,   reading all the posts makes me feel kinda sad,   i miss being in the svc,  i miss all my friends,  some that are gone,  some that i'm still in contact with!,  i myself think that it made me a better person,  helped me to grow up,    todays generation only knows how to hold out their hands,  don't appreciate what was sacrificed from others,   i could go on and on, it only makles me feel more depressed so i'll quit,    jerry

Zapato

Quote from: frosty on 2012-11-12 00:03
Zapato
It was General Robert E Lee, they took the land from for Arlington National Cemetery.

You're 100% correct, have to guess few people knew this little bit of US trivia.
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

technically, it was General Lee's wife's family property. And another interesting bit of info...she was a great grand daughter of Martha Washington.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe