News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

question of the week

Started by whisper38, 2013-08-09 20:18

Previous topic - Next topic

whisper38

I'm going to rebuild a wiper motor, the smallest wrench I have is 6/32 which is just a hair too big to fit the screws,what type or size tool do I need.

clusterbuster

I usually try one of my small metric wrenches when I run across something like that. Usually something will fit. Dare say I don't what size you need other than that.

RICH MUISE

Don't know if they still make them, but the old ignition wrench sets had a bunch of small sizes you almost otherwise never run into. Also, this is when one of those keychain size adjustable wrenches come in handy. 6/32 = 3/16 btw
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-08-09 22:45
Don't know if they still make them, but the old ignition wrench sets had a bunch of small sizes you almost otherwise never run into. Also, this is when one of those keychain size adjustable wrenches come in handy. 6/32 = 3/16 BTW

Whisper38
One of  these days, I have to do mine also.  Is there some special lubricant that they use inside the wiper motor, or is Vaseline good enough?  Now I have to look through my little wrenches for a 3/16. Seems like I had a nut driver for taking them apart in the old days.   Don't know where it is now.

whisper38

CRC White Lithium Grease,I got my apart using the 6/32 wrench and a pair of needle nose,turning it by hand it seem to work ok,my ranchero in the shop agian getting a spray in bed liner,I'll test it out when i get it back.

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-08-09 22:45
Don't know if they still make them, but the old ignition wrench sets had a bunch of small sizes you almost otherwise never run into. Also, this is when one of those keychain size adjustable wrenches come in handy. 6/32 = 3/16 btw
And I thought I was the last person on earth with an ignition wrench set  :003: I've used them occasionally on everything but ignitions.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Quote from: whisper38 on 2013-08-10 06:46
CRC White Lithium Grease,I got my apart using the 6/32 wrench and a pair of needle nose,turning it by hand it seem to work ok,my ranchero in the shop agian getting a spray in bed liner,I'll test it out when i get it back.

Whisper the white lithium sounds good..   Come to think of it, now that you mention a pair of need needle nose pliers, that sounds more like what I used also.  It was a long time ago when I last did one. 

Ecode70D

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2013-08-10 08:02
And I thought I was the last person on earth with an ignition wrench set  :003: I've used them occasionally on everything but ignitions.

Jim... No you're not!!!!   I still have points in most of my flathead cars and my Y block 57. 

Tom S is going to be proud of me.  I finally got the quote thing to work correctly..   (I think)

hiball3985

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2013-08-10 09:06
Jim... No you're not!!!!   I still have points in most of my flathead cars and my Y block 57. 

Tom S is going to be proud of me.  I finally got the quote thing to work correctly..   (I think)
I still have points in my F100 and Mustang, 57 has a Pertronix that was installed by the PO. I've seen some sets that are just stamped, mine are so old they are forged. Congratulations on getting the quoting right. You are not alone being computer challenged  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Mark

I cut off a old screwdriver and cut a slot in the end of the shaft with a cut off wheel to fit those heads, kind of like a nut driver,easy and works great.

whisper38

okay,here what I made for future rebuilds on the wiper motors,i took 1/2" round bar stock,turned it down at one end to 1/4",took cutoff wheel and made a slot in it,I'm going to go back later and drill a hole in it for a t-handle.

Ecode70D

Mark and Whisper
    Those are both good ideas.  I'm going out to the shop Monday to look and see what I have and will do the one that is the easier. 
     They are both better than using tiny open end wrenches and needle nose pliers.
Jay 

Mark

The question I have is where are you going to get parts????? I have had mine apart but have not seen anyone who sells parts. I plan to send mine out to have it repaired, Wiper man rebuilds them but will not sell parts.

Zapato

do a search for American Antique Auto Parts

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Mark

the only thing I found on American Antique's site looks to be for 28-36 model years, am I missing something?  will those parts fit ?