News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

rear leaf springs

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2015-07-08 16:38

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

ok,  i've got 3 diff questions here,    i had new leaf springs installed,  1 side is 1" lower then the other.   1st question,  should i use 1 air shock to make up the adjustment?,  2nd question,  or should i use a block to lift the one side up?,  using blocks as they did in the old days to lift or lower a car?,  and 3,  if u say blocks,  do i put it on the bott of the spring or top?,    so,  any one know what they would do?,  thanks   jerry

hiball3985

The axle mounts on top of the spring, blocks go between the spring and axle. Blocks only lower the car, I don't know of any way to raise it using blocks. Why not take it back to were the springs were installed?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

rmk57

You put a block under the side that's higher. :003:

Seriously, I'd give a call to where you bought them from.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Jerry...bear with me a minute here....last week I was assembling my front end sheetmetal and discovered my Painted right fender had a problem not fitting with the grille nose piece. Not wanting to mess up the paint on the fender, I seriously considered modifying the nose piece to match the fender, as the nose piece would be much easier to paint and blend in. It dawned on me what I would be doing would be using two wrongs to make a right....not the right thing to do....kinda what you're contemplating with the spring block on one side.
Any idea what's causing the problem? New springs? or rearched? If new, where were they from?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

geraldchainsaw

your all right,  i'll take it back,   thanks    jerry

SkylinerRon

Did you get the springs from the installer?

What shop sends out a car lopsided anyway?

Goodluck,

Ron.

Ecode70D

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-07-08 21:31
Jerry...  It dawned on me what I would be doing would be using two wrongs to make a right....not the right thing to do....kinda what you're contemplating with the spring block on one side.
Any idea what's causing the problem? New springs? or rearched? If new, where were they from?

What rich said about two wrongs.   Taking it back is the best way to get it right. 

petew

I have had a similar problem in the past with leaf springs. If you measure the car a good spring shop should be able to re arch the low spring to pick that side of the car the necessary amount.
The place I used to go to looked like something out of the old West but they were good. The guy laid the spring on the floor and traced the outline on the floor in chalk. He asked what the height difference was , re arched the spring and put it back on the floor and checked it against the original arch. He was satisfied so he sent me home with it , damned if the car didn't set perfectly after his adjustment.
You could also try swapping the springs side to side .