News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Fuel Tank Vent Line

Started by Randyh, 2016-04-01 11:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Randyh

Has anybody had the fuel tank vent line for a Custom duplicated?  I called Classic tube today and they say they can not produce the crimp that locates the plate where the line goes through the trunk drop.  I have a very nice ventline to use as a pattern if someone knows a place that can produce the crimp that is needed.

RICH MUISE

I found out the same thing, but also I was installing a fuel pump that had a vent valve on it, so I was going to be rerouting anyway. It turned out to be pretty easy actually. I used fuel hose to connect to the fittings but instead of routing it over to the side trunk drop area then up and over, I just went along the tank and came up inside right next to the sheetmetal covering the tank's filler neck. From there I used 1/4 copper and easily formed it to hug the sheetmetal and out thru the original opening over the license plate.
First pic shows that hose held in place with self adhesive velcro strips along the tank flange. I have that on my list of stuff to redo as the strips didn't hold it very well. The "window flashing" is similar to the dynamat, it's got rubber under the alum foil and is self adhesive. Not as thick as the roofing version, but ok for this.
Last pic also shows mod I did to replace the tank J mounting bolts with a ss screw eye pivoting on a sleeve over the crossbolt. The copper vent pipe can be seen if you look up above/in front of the tank.

To answer your question though, if you need it as close to oem as posible, couldn't the mounting plate be tack welded on the tube at that point as long as it was put on loosly onto the tube before the final bends and flares? Just a thought. I'm assuming here of course the crimp they can't do is to hold the mentioned mounting plate.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Forget my post...I just checked because I couldn't remember that you are in fact doing an oem restoration.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Randyh

yes, trying to at least, it isn't easy as everyone has probably figured out.
In the end it will be worth it.