News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Country Sedan/Wagon glass replacement advice needed

Started by MrArt2u, 2016-04-01 11:53

Previous topic - Next topic

MrArt2u

Hello all,

Well Spring has sprung here in SoCal so it's time to start focusing on the bodywork and paint for our wagon. Our tailgate window looks like it's been through several season of sandstorms (or a very careless sandblaster) and I'd like to get a nicer glass to replace it. I intend to replace all the glass on the vehicle but I've not found a source for new tailgate glass. I did find a source for a nice used glass so my question is now about that weatherstripping that surrounds it. For those of you who have replaced your glass, where did you find it? Was it good quality? How has it held up over the years?

The same gentleman also has the upper tailgate with original glass still installed for a bit more. Since I'm repainting the car, does anyone suggest I go that route and not even mess with that glass? Honestly, I want to be thorough and paint everything (and not mask around old crusty weatherstripping) so I'm hoping you guys talk me out of this option.

And, speaking of weatherstripping, again, those of you who have done this, where did you find the window gaskets for the large rear side glass and were you happy with your purchases?

Thanks guys!

RICH MUISE

Flat glass is not expensive or a problem getting. Any good glass shop can cut it and have it tempered to match old glass or from templates. If you need/want I can get a reference for a guy in Montana that does alot of the Hamb stuff with excellent reviews on pricing, shipping, quality and service. I'm going to have to let the wagon guys chime in on seals, but I do believe the back large side ones/tracks are not available and have to be made from length mouldings the correct configuration.
New glass and seals are worth the effort and expense imho.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/glassman-w-patterns-for-any-car-truck-will-cut-and-ship-worldwide.614524/page-4#post-11451379

scroll back to the first page for contact info
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

Rich, the liftgate glas is a wraparound crowned design in 57 wagons.
I bought my rear rubber seals from steelerubber and I believe they are Carpenter. For the rear side glass you can cut down 4dr seals. the sliding windows take standard felt channels but they are extra length. Unfortunately I have yet to replace the seals so I don't know about the quality.

RICH MUISE

My mistake, I thought it was flat. Classic city auto?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

carpenter makes the rear side glass rubber seals for the country sedans

ragtop

I got one from www.concoursparts.com for the rear window 

MrArt2u

Good info, guys. Thank you.

Not too worried about the flat glass availability, nor windshield (I understand that one is readily available) but I was really hoping to find a new rear tailgate window. I guess nice used one will work too.

I just downloaded the Concoursparts catalog, I'll dig in deep this weekend, but it looks like they should have the rear rubber I need, maybe others too, but I'll check out Steele and Carpenter for the side glass rubbers. I'm probably months form needing these parts but I want to make sure everything is in my hands before I start taking any glass out.

And anyone with tips and or other installation stories/nightmares please chime in, I'd love to have an idea of what I'm getting in to.

djfordmanjack

What happened to your liftgate hinges, is this a converted sedan delivery ?

Quote from: ragtop on 2016-04-01 13:29
I got one from www.concoursparts.com for the rear window

ragtop

yes did not have a sedan delivery tailgate on it when I got the car all the wagon stuff went on 

djfordmanjack

Zapato

Many,many years ago i.repainted a 57 and did not remove any glass. Used a trick passed on to me by an old body and paint guy. The rubber on it wasn't all dried up or cracked so there was a way to make it looked as though the glass has been pulled. Am sure we've all seen the cars that were masked and you could spot areas around the rubber where one could see the old body color.

The trick I was taught was very simple. He had some small diameter nylon cord. We would pull the rubber molding up away from the body enough so the cord could be pushed in and keep the molding up from the body and deep enough that once painted it would cover any unpainted area.molding was taped as usual but also on the backside. Once paint was dry we used a razor blade to make sure where the cord edge was wouldn't rip when it was removed. Tape etc... removed as normal and no one would know the glass had not been removed.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72