News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Door locks

Started by Limey57, 2017-07-03 09:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

I fitted NOS locks to my Ranchero doors but have a problem locking them.  I insert the key at the 12 o'clock position and turn it clockwise to the 3 o'clock position which locks the door (the interior button also goes down to the locked position), but I cannot withdraw the key in this position, to remove it I have to return it to the 12 o'clock position which then unlocks it again!

Anyone any ideas?
Gary

1957 Ranchero

lalessi1

My key goes in at 12, when turned to 3 the car locks, back to 12 to remove the key. 12 to 9 will unlock the car. Must be a linkage issue?
Lynn

Limey57

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2017-07-03 12:15
My key goes in at 12, when turned to 3 the car locks, back to 12 to remove the key. 12 to 9 will unlock the car. Must be a linkage issue?

Thanks Lynn, certainly sounds like I've connected something wrong, now I know how it should work I'll investigate.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Swank

Im interested in this, ..as my drivers side door will unlock easily, but does not even slightly feel like it's catching and likewise will not lock with the key (push button works fine).  Hope somethings just out of adjustment, but thinking the mechanism is broke going one way.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

BBoswell

I don't know what other 57's it will fit, but I have the entire door handle mechanism to door lock mechanism for the drivers door on a Custom 300 if it turns out you might need it.

Ecode70D

A 57 Ford friend recently called me about the same problem.  He solved it   by switching that connecting piece of linkage from one side to the other.  If you are sure that your door locks are on the right           side, just try switching that linkage piece.
     I carefully tagged mine when I had the car apart and it went back together without that problem.
     Give it a try.  You have nothing to lose.   

Limey57

That's interesting, thanks. Mine was in pieces when I bought it, it came with NOS locks but nothing was labelled.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Gary, Here's a sample of my bad memory again........I remember something being left or right but will install on either side and won't work on the wrong side. I can't remember if it's the lock tumbler assembly or the cast connecting "fingers" that fit into the end of the housing that move the levers in the door lock.. Actually what Jay already said.
Jim...I'll bet your tumbler housing's cast pocket where the fingers fit in on the end is broken, or the finger casting itself.....or possibly just fell off.
repro key cylinders are pretty easy to find.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Limey57

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2017-07-04 21:14
Gary, Here's a sample of my bad memory again........I remember something being left or right but will install on either side and won't work on the wrong side. I can't remember if it's the lock tumbler assembly or the cast connecting "fingers" that fit into the end of the housing that move the levers in the door lock.. Actually what Jay already said.
Jim...I'll bet your tumbler housing's cast pocket where the fingers fit in on the end is broken, or the finger casting itself.....or possibly just fell off.
repro key cylinders are pretty easy to find.

Well, I've just swapped the locks (and connecting fingers) from side-to-side & result!!!!  Works perfectly, thanks.  I had a quick look & they look pretty much identical but there must be a subtle difference somewhere.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

djfordmanjack

Gary, like Rich and Jay stated the claws are different left to right, the have different offset angles. good to hear that you solved the problem by just replacing them side to side

Limey57

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2017-07-10 16:55
Gary, like Rich and Jay stated the claws are different left to right, the have different offset angles. good to hear that you solved the problem by just replacing them side to side

Thanks, sometimes a problem is just TOO simple to be able to see the problem!  I'm kicking myself for just assuming I'd got it right and not trying it before I'd fitted the door cards, still, at least it's done now.  I was going to take it to a local show last weekend but not being able to lock the doors put me off.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe