News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Courier Questions

Started by Hot Rod Custom, 2017-07-15 18:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Custom

Hi Guys,
  My hunt for a Custom Tudor Sedan is going well. Plenty of nice cars available at an affordable price. However, as I was surfing the 'net this afternoon, I found a Courier for sale. I always thought all Couriers had the rear glass that wrapped around the top section in three parts and were a one-piece lift-up gate. Is it maybe a production date thing or at what assembly line it was built?
  Though I think that years ago, I saw a Courier in a salvage yard with the conventional wagon tailgate set-up. Were they available both ways? I realize the data plate will designate a Courier as a 78A model, but what if the plate is missing? Any other tell-tale signs?
  I'm also curious about seating options. I believe that standard Courier equipment was the bucket seats. Was that just the driver's seat and the passenger side was optional? Could a bench seat be ordered?
  Finally, were two-toned paint schemes available?
  Thanks for any help. I wasn't able to find any definitive answers because Couriers are rare and not too much accurate info is available.
Tom

gasman826

My Courier had a bench seat and the one piece liftgate.  It appeared to be a simple swap to a wagon tailgate setup.  Tutone option would be rare for someone to pop for the upcharge.  Changing a wagon to a Courier side panels would be way more of a challenge than swapping tailgates.  I still have a Courier back in the junkyard if someone wants to swap roof and upper quarters!!!

59meteor

I have owned 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries (the Canadian built versions were not called Couriers, they had "Sedan Delivery" emblems on the front fenders). Both of mine, and all the other 57 Sedan Delivery/Couriers that I have seen did have a 1 piece tail gate that opened from the bottom with a 3 piece window.Both of mine came with split bench seats, and 1 of mine had  factory 2 tone blue & white paint.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Ecode70D

They are real cool looking cars.    I never had one , but  wonder how the visibility on the right                 side is.

gasman826

The visibility thing (or the lack of)... you just learn to drive with that blind spot.  No different than a big truck, pickup, van, or a Custom with no right mirror and the back seat filled to the roof with the wife's luggage.  My neck doesn't move anymore so I have learned to use mirrors or don't change lanes.  My new Expedition has blind spot sensors and backup camera.  I'm really trying to trust technology!  The backup camera is super for hooking up the trailer!

59meteor

As mentioned, the lack of visability is something you either got used to, or as some people did, a huge ugly window got installed on the right panel. My 57 SD`s had no passenger side mirrors, so you had to pay attention while driving. The key was knowing what type of vehicles you were  beside. If you knew that you needed to turn right up a few blocks, you needed to check what was in the right lane beside you. If it was say, a brown Mustang, you needed to get ahead enough to spot that Mustang in your rear view mirror, and then change lanes. Of course, I sold my last Delivery in 1986, traffic seemed a lot lighter and better behaved back in those days! These days, drivers are spoiled by the huge modern (and ugly, in my opinion) side mirrors on modern vehicles. My F350 Dually has large, extendable "split screen" mirrors, so visability is great with the wide rear fenders and 24 foot enclosed trailer towing behind. Compare that to old 40s & 50s trucks. Even on large tandem axle 5 ton trucks, the factory mirror was a tiny 4" round mirror, at the end of a piece of small diameter tubing. And even in a normal 50s car, I have found all the old style fender mounted side mirrors to be pretty much useless . Years ago, I spotted a 56 Chev Sedan Delivery with truck style "West Coast" mirrors on both doors. Ugly as sin, but functional!
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

djfordmanjack

Yes the Courier was available as either a panel sided split gate delivery AND an all side window + liftgate.
Just a short time ago a 'government' vehicle was on ebay, featuring full glass and seating but one piece, 3pc-glass lift gate.
Mine was a Canadian built panel w/ lift gate and it was horrible to see out on the LEFT side. Right side didn't bother me as mine was quick enough :002:
but you could hardly see any vehicle at your left tailfin. It is the reason why I finally sold the SD.
I have to add that even my 4dr Country sedan has an odd dead angle the B pillar. even though I have nicely placed swan neck back view mirrors. Those B posts are thicker than they look at first glance. not talking about 6 feet of SD panel sides... :005:

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: gasman826 on 2017-07-16 08:41
My new Expedition has blind spot sensors and backup camera.  I'm really trying to trust technology!  The backup camera is super for hooking up the trailer!

My new F150 has the back up camera with the little curvy lines that show you where you're going to go and the trailer backing assist.  Just can not get used to using it.  Been backing with mirrors for almost 50 years.  As Gary said, hooking up a trailer with the rear view camera is the best!

For normal traffic my mirrors are set (both side and interior) to monitor traffic and eliminate the blind spot.  The set of both side mirrors is such that I have to move my head forward to see the side of the truck.  During normal driving position just moving the eyes with a slight head twist gives full coverage.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

ragtop

I had a courier back in the 70s it had a one piece tailgate that opened like a door and was made of fiberglass 40 years later I found out it was a vary limited tailgate car was real rusty I sent it to the crusher wish I had kept the gate and hardware