News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

starting my 4.6 swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2014-11-30 13:20

Previous topic - Next topic

canadian_ranchero

update. got the exhaust back in [waiting for mufflers]second picture is of the e brake and how it clears the exhaust.last one is of my steering box clearance

canadian_ranchero

decided to ream my spindles to fit the 57 tie rod ends

61ford

Hi Gents,
Hope you don't mind the chime in? I have just completed a 4.6 install as well. Looks like some of you have got the wiring issue sorted out? I am looking for a little guidance. My first EFI install, so pretty green. Was thinking Ron Francis harness. Any help, suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks

RICH MUISE

Welcome to the forum. Unless you're an electrical wizard like some of these guys, I strongly reccomend the Ron Francis harness. I've never wired a car before, and had less trouble wiring the engine than I did the Vintage Air. It's expensive at 915., but worth every dollar. You really get alot for your money. Quality and instructions are excellent. You can imagine the smile on my face when the engine started on the first lick, and was not throwing any engine codes. Lots of things I could talk about but I already have in the "4.6 being installed now" thread.
There are a few more things you may or may not need other than the "basic" harness depending on your application. What is the donor vehicle? cooling fans? A/C?etc.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

61ford

Thanks for the reply.
Glad to hear you were happy with the Francis kit. I called Ron Francis a couple of times now and they have indicated they make whatever I need. I guess that really is the issue...I don't know exactly what I need as I haven't done one of these before. Other than eliminating most of the emission stuff, not sure what else to consider.
Donor is a 2002 Crown Vic out of police cruiser(PI engine) with 4r70w tranny.
I will check out your other thread you mentioned.

canadian_ranchero

update: working on the intake system.rich muise, i should have listened to you about triming the firewall[need to finish].had to do it now to make the intake ducting fit.lucky for me i had not installed the intake manifold.first pictures are of the triming and fitment of the intake ducting.last picture is of test fit of the mark VIII front part of the fuel line,looks like it will fit

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: 61ford on 2015-04-16 12:38
Thanks for the reply.
Glad to hear you were happy with the Francis kit. I called Ron Francis a couple of times now and they have indicated they make whatever I need. I guess that really is the issue...I don't know exactly what I need as I haven't done one of these before. Other than eliminating most of the emission stuff, not sure what else to consider.
Donor is a 2002 Crown Vic out of police cruiser(PI engine) with 4r70w tranny.
I will check out your other thread you mentioned.
i would delete the back oxy sensors and the pats system to start with[some police cars did not have pats]with a computer reprogram.   

lalessi1

Pats system? Just for my own edification!
Lynn

Ford Blue blood

Passive anti theft system.  Computer talks to a "little black box" that talks to the ignition key.  If the box doesn't tell the computer that the key belongs to this car the computer never puts a ground on the fuel injectors.  You can make a PATS car fire with squirting gas into the intake while cranking but that is all you get.

Pull apart the column and you will find a ring around the ignition lock.  It has three tiny wires that run to the "little black box", the box sends a signal to the ring and the key then responds, the box has many wires into it but bottom line, it tells the computer it OK to let the engine run..
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

The easiest way to tell is the ignition key...if it doesn't have a chip, it doesn't have the pats system. As Bill said, some/many/most/all ? police vehicles do not have the Pats system. Also, the Ron Francis kit only uses the two O2 sensors closest to the exhaust manifold, so delete the rear two that would be on the Mustang system....at least the Mark Viii version of the Ron Francis harness.
Gary....I'm surprised you had a clearance problem...did you move your engine back further than you had initially shown? Your throttle body looks to be about where mine is.

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-04-17 10:30
The easiest way to tell is the ignition key...if it doesn't have a chip, it doesn't have the pats system. As Bill said, some/many/most/all ? police vehicles do not have the Pats system. Also, the Ron Francis kit only uses the two O2 sensors closest to the exhaust manifold, so delete the rear two that would be on the Mustang system....at least the Mark Viii version of the Ron Francis harness.
Gary....I'm surprised you had a clearance problem...did you move your engine back further than you had initially shown? Your throttle body looks to be about where mine is.
the pats and back oxy sensers are not on pre 1996[OBD1]. i think my clearance problem is caused by the angle of the engine,the mustang frame mounts raised the front of the engine up

RICH MUISE

Do you have the tranny in it's final resting place...height-wise? I found raising the tranny pivots the engine up and away from the firewall almost an equal amount. I was having trouble fitting the egr valve until I realized I had the tranny just sitting on the crossmember with a section of 2x4 to approximate the lowest estimated mounting height. When I raised it 1/2", I gained almost that much clearance at the firewall weld flange.

canadian_ranchero

i do have the transmission on the mount.was thinking of making a spacer to raise the trans up to get a little more clearance

RICH MUISE

I had to pull my intake plenum off this week and noticed it was more difficult to squeeze it on/off than before. I just realized with our conversation here, that I may have forgot some thick washers under the tranny after had the crossmember out to  rework the e cable bracket...have to get back under there and have a look.

61ford

Rich, I read your other post you suggested. Thanks for taking the time to post all of that, I enjoyed going thru it. I got the impression you ordered the wiring kit from Francis that was specific to your year of engine in that it is a standard kit with no deletions? Sounds like the instructions are very detailed as well. To be clear, the tranny harness comes with the engine harness, correct?

Canadian_Ranchero, thanks for the information as well. I will delete all emission stuff that I can, PATS, rear O2 sensors, ABS, Cruise. I want to retain the factory gauges on the dash. I think I will go with a externally mounted electric fuel pump. I will inform of them my intentions and hope they will make sure I am not missing anything else I can delete. I decided to go with a clutch fan, but will have them wire for electric fans for future?

Interesting reading the posts. My 4.6 is in a 61 Galaxie and I had to work thru the same issues...oil pan, engine mounts, tranny mounts, driveshaft. I also added disc brakes all around and went with Rack and Pinion and Hydroboost. Hey it ain't a 57 but pretty close?