News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Radiator cap poundage

Started by Limey57, 2017-08-29 09:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

My radiator cap is marked as being 13lbs, but I'm finding that it's pushing some water out, is 13lbs correct or should I be using something higher?  Engine is a 302 Windsor, stock radiator.

Thanks
Gary

1957 Ranchero

lalessi1

I would think that is more than sufficient. I am thinking maybe thermal expansion is the culprit and it will stop at some level. Steam would not overpressure the system until the temp reaches 245 degrees F.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Gary, somebody will have to confirm this, but I recall a stock radiator as having a suggested cap pressure of 7 lbs to keep higher pressures from rupturing the tank. With that said, I ran a 7 lb on my new aluminum radiator, but found that it was spitting coolant over the top of the engine, so I switched to a 13 lb and have had no issues since. My aluminum radiator is welded though, not brazed as the oems are.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Marc

Whenever I ran a 13 lb cap on my stock radiator, it was always springing a leak at the top tank. Dropped it to a 7 lb cap, fine ever since.

hiball3985

Sometime over the years the depth of the neck changed, I don't have access to my original radiator to check it's up in the rafters. I remember trying a later higher pressure cap on some early radiator and it didn't seal. I could fill the radiator and squeeze the radiator hose and it would spit out the overflow because it didn't seal..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang