News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

running out of time

Started by RICH MUISE, 2011-01-18 21:16

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

well I've talked several times about getting sidetracked from working on my '57. This morning I found out a good friend of mine from Colorado passed away in September. The last time we talked he was getting ready to move to Florida...I assumed he did, but he hadn't and we lost touch. he was 67, a heavy drinker, and not in real good shape for the 20 years I knew him, so it wasn't a big surprise, but of course still saddened me. Something like that really makes you stop and think of the things that are important to you that you let slip by... friends, family, fun time like working on our '57's. Tom was really big on enjoying life and just a fun guy to be around. I want to share some of his wit with you guys..I think you'll enjoy it...just a few I remember.

"never waste time buttering toast...just butter your lips and slide it on in."

"In my lifetime I've only known of three people that were trully cool...James Dean, Elvis, and myself. Sometimes I wonder about Elvis."

I'm going to print out that last one and frame it for my desk...R.I.P. Tom Dooley
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

shopratwoody

Sorry for your loss RICH. It's something that happens to us all.
You better get busy man.
"Tom Dooley"?
I hate blocksanding!

alvin stadel

Sorry about your friend Rich, sounds like you had some good times together, you'll always have your memories. Thats why I always say god never promised me tomarrow, so if you want it get it, or if its fun do it, and if you have a 57 ford you are already in heaven, take care, Alvin.

RICH MUISE

Quote from: shopratwoody on 2011-01-18 21:22
Sorry for your loss RICH. It's something that happens to us all.
You better get busy man.
"Tom Dooley"?
Thanks Shoprat...Yeah..."Tom Dooley". He was a good, but struggling young artist in Florida and moved to Colorado in the early70's..began painting under that name to get a fresh start. Became very popular and well known and eventually legally changed his name (and his whole families) to Dooley.
and, yes it is time to get busy...first on the agenda is a mental list of the things that are important to me that I've been neglecting too much and what I'm going to do to fix it. Number one on the list is planning a trip to Orlando to see my son and grandkids...the latest I haven't met yet. My wife thinks I should fly, but a long road trip sounds great....and maybe a chance to meet James, Bill, ford crazy and anyone else that may be available along the way from texas to Florida.   Rich

shopratwoody

That sounds like a good plan Rich. (the trip)
I got mine done for the 3rd or 4th time just in time. I don't get much done any more :001:
I hate blocksanding!

Ford Blue blood

Rich I know just how you feel.  A friend and fellow hot rodder passed suddeenly two years ago.  He was in relative good health but had a brain anurism.  My wife's declining health and his passing made me decide to retire and start the "bucket list".  The Navy carried me to most all those exotic places you read about, six of the seven continents, two trips circumnavigating the globe but no time to see the USA.  I have lived to draw my 36th retainer (+ some) (50% of military retirees who do 26 + years active duty do not draw their 36th check).

Retired, spent time flying to CA to "fix" a 61 Unibody I got off the HAMB and drove it back home via Rt.66 and the Grand Canyon, the Painted Desert, Petrified Forest and the Tee Pee Motel.  Next is the Black Hills, the Salt Flats for speed week, Yellowstone (before it becomes a volcanoe again) and Yosemite.  Then the ALCAN to Alaska (summer time trip!).  Yes I know, a simple list but it's mine.

As far as the list, first and foremost is your health.  As I tell folks who ask how I am, "vertical, breathing on my own and eating solid food, it all goes up hill from there).  Without it the rest of the list just don't matter.  But do make a list, sometimes it is a good reason to get up in the morning.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

geraldchainsaw

were getting at that age some of us,     sounds like some of you are giving up,  geez, i just went an bought a new tool box,    jerry

shopratwoody

I'm glad to hear that Jerry. I'm starting to sell a few large items.
Auto Hoist, Big Compressor and down size a little. I'll just get
smaller stuff. I haven't given up, Just slowing down some. :001:
I hate blocksanding!

Frankenstein57

Rich, I feel your pain. Last February I went on a snowmobile weekend with a good friend, then in May he died in an ATV accident. He was a little older than I, I'm 54 he was 67. This guy still raced 700 HP dirt late models, rode a snowmobile hard, and really enjoyed life. Just glad I got to hang with him for a weekend+  LIFE IS SHORT don't sweat the small stuff, hug your family. (better get the rancheros done)   Mark

RICH MUISE

The people I have admired most in my lifetime are the ones that work hard and play hard. They seem to make you enjoy yourself just being around them. Sounds like you also lost one of those.  Rich

JimNolan

Guys,
   Rich and I were kidding around about dying and leaving our classic car parts (junk) for our children to liquidate if and when we die. I'm sure both my boys would care less about the parts and probably throw them in a dumpster. Sooooooo, I wrote this up and taped it to my computer:
" Bill and Jamie,
       In case of my death, notify this internet website first ( www.57fordsforever.com ) to liquidate any car parts you don't want to keep for yourself. I don't want to look down (or up) and see my classic car parts put in a dumpster. Dad" Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

geraldchainsaw

good 1 Jim,  i'll go one further,  i've already started taping what things are worth,  so they won't throw them out

Frankenstein57

Jim, maybe you can put my phone#  for dumpster providers.  Mark

ranchero57

rich ,on your way to florida stop by my place.i am not far off i-12,near slidell.james p is just 45 minutes away near gulfport.my#985-290-6327 campy

RICH MUISE

I'll look forward to it Campy...I'll let you know when. Thanks