Okay still haven't decided. 312 y block cost over this newly found 1988 460 BBF

Started by Custom300Madman, 2012-04-04 14:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Custom300Madman

Okay I still have not decided on which approach I should take. Money is the factor at the moment because I'm still in school. Like most of ya'll remember from before is that I have removed the leaky fordomatic and the 312 y block from my custom 300 four door car. Now they're sitting in the garage awaiting a move either to the shop or to the next guy. Numbers match this family car so I'm partial to the idea of keeping it that way, and then just building a stingray model corvette by putting a ls1 in it next winter. I have searched high and low and to no avail I haven't been able to track down a dove block 460 in Houston. My buddy who is nearing 50 has brought this idea on to me to get the bbf for this big boat like car. He's a proud owner of several cool cars. 67 Chevelle Malibu, 70 Road Runner, 80 z28, two convertible iroc camaros, a vega that's in pieces etc.

Now with the 460 coming from a 1988 ryder truck it has a c6 transmission, and he said I could have the rear end. I don't think I could use it, and I think I'll just find a explorer rear for disc brake pieces. the 460 is fuel injected, so I would have to cruise on by 460.com for their opinions on how to wake the engine up. For the opinions of this thread in everyone's expertise will the 460 build surpass the cost for a driveable 312?

If someone would be so kind on to emailing me or replying a list of what I need replaced for my 312 I would greatly appreciate it. Here's the link for the yblock kit site. Also if I could keep the heads or just go cheap and keep everything standard would be okay with me. The goal is to drive the car everyday if I wanted to and have the reliability to drive to Alaska if need be.

Thanks again to all of you for taking the time on reading, replying and criticizing ;)

1957 Ford Custom 300 Fourdoor, with factory 312 yblock

Custom300Madman

lowrider

That site is like a candy store for me. I think to get the best advice on a yblock I would call John Mummert and tell him what you plan to do with your build. Real nice guy to talk to and will give you good adivse. I think the first step would be to see what condition the 312 is in before you dump alot of $$$ in it. A cracked main web or cyl. head will just about put an end to the yblock route. IMO you just cant beat the cool factor with the yblock. Then again you'll get more grunt out of the 460 with less $$$. If you decide to go the 460 route I'm sure you know they will be lined up to take the 312 off your hands. Again, I would talk to John. You could end up spending alot of $$$ on the 312 and not be happy with the result. My vote is still with the 312 but I've had some experience with yblocks.

Custom300Madman

Thanks lowrider, so would you strip it down and have the shop look for micro cracks or are there measurements I can check in my garage?

lowrider

It would be best to have a shop with yblock experience look at it 1st. If you go to Mummerts site ford-y-blocks.com & click on "Technical Information" then "Trouble areas" you will see places to look at. That part you could do yourself. If you find cracks I guess that would answer that question. But all would not be lost. Alot of guys go with a 292 block, have it bored to 312, take the crank & have the mains turned to 292 specs. You end up with a much better 312 when your done. At least you will be able to find main bearings for it then. 312 main bearings are getting expensive/difficult to find.

Custom300Madman