News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

We need more members than guests.

Started by Custom300Madman, 2012-04-04 22:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Custom300Madman

We need more members than guests. Or perhaps a change in privileges on the forum requiring the user to "sign in". This will then contribute to more responses and replies rather than "page or thread views" soaring. I encourage you all to put your two cents in or opinions on every thread as this is what generates discussion.

-KRHIII-
1957 Ford Custom 300 Fourdoor, with factory 312 yblock

lowrider

I agree we need more input. When I look thru the forum I'm looking for articles related to yblocks. I see alot of posts related to 460's 351c's & w's 302's etc so I cant really post a worthwhile responce. Outside of the T5 and some performance goodies in the engine my car is bone stock. I do like reading some of the upgrade posts. I'll continue to post on things I know about when I can be of some help.

Ford Blue blood

Disagree.  Restricting access to members only will restrict exposure to the site and to 57 Fords in general.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JPotter57

Bill, that's why it is setup the way it is, for maximum exposure.  If someone reads the site and gets.excited about it, they will join.  I get a lot of registrations, and when they get approved, sometimes they never post, just come herw and read, which is fine.  I would prefer more participation, but I will take what I can get.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Ford Blue blood

Participation here is not too bad.  I agree James it could be better but beside us old retired farts most guys have lives that take a lot of time.  Look at the Galaxie site for example.  Many years of cars, very little participation.  The Boss site does pretty good for two years of models, those guys are hard core just as some of us are here. 

I think you got it right!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

The think that the 45-55 age group leaned away from cars.  Factory performance in the late '70s through the '80s went away and gas prices continued to climb.  The younger people tend to have more interest in car collecting but they had little to no exposure to '50s cars.  The '50s and early '60s cars are a unique category of collectables.  They are between WWII and the 'muscle cars'.  They are between round fenders and plastic.  The sheet metal had too much scrap in the mix and rust inhibitors had not caught up yet.  As far as reproduction support...well, you can buy and brand new '32 three window or a '69 Mustang.  Ya', there is the tri five Chevy but when you are number two you have to try harder.  (Everyone knows that '57 Ford was number one in sales).  I think that these forums are as close to the '50s car clubs that we are ever going to get.  As great as social media is, I still think that social face-to-face is still the best.  I would still like to see a local car club that had hands on, tool touching, work sessions instead for breakfest meetings.
As long as guests keep visiting, they are finding something of interest.  It's a good thing.

Custom300Madman

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2012-04-05 08:02
Disagree.  Restricting access to members only will restrict exposure to the site and to 57 Fords in general.

That's not what I'm insinuating. Knowledge is power and the goal of the site is to spread the knowledge. However, there needs to be member only sections to encourage members to sign in or register IMO. Maybe like members rides or random member drawings that would require additional revenue to support server costs, and maintainence fees. Or maybe the members table. "behind member doors-anything goes". LoL

Some sections should be for members only, I myself at 27 years of age will never sell my car. I have no problem donating a small amount or contributing to the welfare of this site at all. If it wasn't for the site or the members (you guys) I wouldn't be able to get her on the road. Although she's not on the road yet there are so many wheels turning in my mind, it won't be long!

wv 57s forever

:burnout:

My 2 cents worth. I never sign out. I think anyone should be able to see anything anyone writes, even tho it has caused a stink one or twice. I allways try to donate to the sight money wise. Like to donate info wise but usually someone else does first. I can only wish i was retired, and had nothing better to do than work on my fords, but the job and the wife have got to come first, so every day when i come home from work the first thing i do is check this site. I guess what I'm trying to say is i like it just the way it is.

512Fairlane

I say leave it like it is.  People who are fairly new to the site and to 57 Fords like myself may not have a lot to contribute initially.  But as I continue my build I plan to share as much info as I can.  The information I have already found on here has helped a lot so far.  I don't think it should be limited to members only.  Just my opinion.

JPotter57

I can say this, the only changes I forsee are cosmetic.  I do t like the members only sites, or even sites with members only pages.  I dont want to deal with the hassles of setting up another database to handle members only login. Even if we had 10000 members, it's just not worth the trouble.  Having a section like that would lead to wanting a section to post NWS (not work safe) photos, and thats not going to happen.  Ever.  This is whyI monitor the registrations.  Some of you older members may remember that episode, dont want to deal with that again.  This is and will always remain a G rated, family oriented site.   No anything goes areas, no nudie pics, lets just keep it about 57 Fords.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

Good for you James...I agree entirely. The best thing we can do for this site is to just keep getting the word out.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

tarheel57

I think its great the way it is ! We should all be thankful that it is run and monitored the way it is. I say leave it just the way it is,Good job ! Tarheel57 :burnout:

dgasman

I think we should keep it just the way it is . I think this forum is easy to view and use. I use quite a few different computers during the day so it's hard for me to always be logged in but I am always visiting and replying when I can. :001:
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

Zapato

I remember when I signed up receiving a few questions about my interest in 57 fords. Was surprised by it but was refreshing as had experienced sites that were full of the chevy vs. ford vs. dodge vs. whatever garbage. Its not as prevalent these days as site moderators are not willing to tolerate it now.

Keep it G-rated if I need that kind of stimulation to get me excited about my cars well not sure what that says about me.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Custom300Madman