News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

noise contriol

Started by 57 imposter, 2012-04-11 22:54

Previous topic - Next topic

57 imposter

Just spent 9 1/2 straight hours cleaning masking and shooting lizard skin in the sedan. Those kind of jobs were so easy when I was in my twenties now I'm not sure I am going to make it Thur the night and I will guarantee that I will not even look at the thing tomorrow. On the up side, it looks like I have found all the front sheet metal I need to complete this project and at a very reasonable price. Should know for sure tomorrow night.

gasman826

Since you are experienced with Lizard Skin, tell me more.  Were the instructions clear and complete?  Did you use their gun?  If you were to do it again, what would you do differently?  I'm getting ready to do the same in the next few days.  Any tips?  My prep:  media blasted the whole body;  etch primed;  getting ready to move the body to the rotisserie; prime the etch primer as a sealer;   clean;  mask;  spray;  ibuprofen(repeat this step)

57 imposter

Gasman..up to this point, you are doing everything right. My grief was the result of having a car that had an interior removed but had not been striped and primed. made it very hard to get the area clean and scuffed enough. Starting with your surface you won't have any of those problems to deal with.  I do have some tips that might be helpful. I do use their gun works great. they used to say you could use a siphon tube connected to the gun head and pull straight out of the bucket. been around when they tried that,,Bad Idea better just to use the gun. Its a good idea to remix your product every time you refill the gun. I just have a 5 gal bucket of water and keep the mixer in that in between re loads. It really doesn't fog or over spray so on a bare shell you shouldn't have to get too carried away masking. I just hung 12" masking paper around the perimeter of the inside of the roof. I have front and rear glass and didn't get a spot on either one. Since I was shooting in a shop with painted street rods around, I used magnets to drape a 9X12 clear plastic drop cloth so it would cover my open side windows. everything in the shop survived fine. Between coats, you have quite a bit of time and any mistakes will easily wipe off with a wet cloth. best thing to have handy are fans. It's important to dry each coat before the next and circulating air over a fresh coat will make a huge difference in your wait time. It sounds like you will be applying this under ideal conditions and I think you will be pleased at how easy the product is to use and will be very happy with how well it works. If I have forgotten anything let me know..Good luck       

gasman826

Thanks for the feedback.  So you applied the sound insulator.  Are you going to coat with the heat insultor?  I'm going for heat control rather than noise.  I think you will get some of both benefits with either product.  Have you had a chance to test drive to hear the difference?

57 imposter

this car, so far is just getting sound control I want to get rid of road noise. I will probably shoot the heat shield on the roof, floor and firewall but not right now. I kind of work part time with an old guy [4 years older than me] in a street rod shop. He is a dist. for the stuff so everything that goes thru there gets both. He is finishing a 39 LaSalle that has both products in it but does not have one stitch of upholstery. It is as quiet, going down the road at freeway speed as almost any new car Certainly better than my 07 Magnum and three times better than my wife's 07 Honda crv. I have not been in a car that was just shot with heat shield so I really don't know how much it will help. I will say that my 58 was not a very noisy car with no more sound deadening than what came from the factory so you may do just fine with what your doing.

Ford Blue blood

I believe the base for the stuff is latex which is why water keeps things good between gun fills and air is the key to faster dry times. 

Read an article a few years ago about making your own "lizard skin".  Use the tiny ceramic balls that the RC airplane guys use to form and fill their airplanes.  Most good hobby shops carry the stuff, need to use a mask when handling it because it is fine like talcum powder.  A gallon of latex and 1/3 a bag of the little balls makes the right mixture.  Use an undercoat gun to apply.  Have not had the opportunity to try it yet.  The site was a hot rod site filled with builders and inovators.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II