News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Plastic chroming

Started by mike b, 2012-04-12 15:23

Previous topic - Next topic

mike b

The radio delete plate and clock delete plate for my car is in need of refreshing,is it silver paint or plastic chrome? There is a plastic chromer in my area.

gasman826

You think them plates are plastic?  Anyway, platers plate anything...glass, aluminum, brass, plastic

Zapato

I'd like information on that plastic plater, really not many guys that do that FIlm plating found on some 60s cars on plastic.
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

mike b

Yes they look to be plastic.The name of the company is  Advanced plastic plating
26425 northline rd,taylor michigan  734-942-9444 . I plan on calling them tommorrow.I dont know anyone that has used them so i cant reccomend them...

gasman826

I think there is a difference between 'film chrome' and plating.  The film chrome is only done at a few places.  My guy says he can chrome plate plastic in much the same manner as plating a bumper.

mike b

I called the place,they are owned jointly with family with a trailer supply business.They quoted over the phone the radio delete plate and the clock delete $55.00 total .I was told there is a 2-3 week turn around right now . 

JPotter57

Let me know how that turns out.  If it looks good,  I'll send mine.  The only place I knew of is Mr G's in Oklahoma, and he charges $300 for the set.  Very good price if it is legit.  Keep us posted.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

mike b

Ford Blue blood

A new process being used, looks to be less expensive.  I expect it would work on plastic as well as on pot metal given they use a eurethane primer.  Was an article in Street Rodder.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II