News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Front end height

Started by mike b, 2012-04-18 13:35

Previous topic - Next topic

mike b

I received my 57' custom 70a yesterday.The seller said he lowered the front end by replacing the coil springs. The car sits pretty low,in fact I measured 10.5" from the ground to the bottom of the front bumper.The car sports 15" rims with 70 series tires. I'm curious if my car is like others or is it really low. I think it needs to be raised up a bit. Anyone?   

gasman826

After reading this, I went out and measured mine.  Since I have no bumper, from the lower side of the frame horn, I've got nine inches.  That is with Granada spindles, 26x4.50x15 Mickey Thompsons,  and no air in the air bags.  The lower control arms are against the bump stops.  Can't go any lower without letting air out of the tires or installing lowering spindles.
Car sits fair low with air in bags.

mike b

Nice stance.I like the size of the tires you have on too. Did you narrow the rear at all to fit the wheels?

gasman826

I had to straighten about 6" of the frame on the rear edge of the tire.  In the picture, you can see that the frame is straight the full length of the inside of the tire.  The original frame section 'dog legged' toward the outside.  Also added two inches to the wheel well/apron (tubbed it).

mike b

wholly crap,there's a lot of work there,good job!