News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

spark plugs

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2012-04-28 12:57

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

hi all,  having problems with plugs on one of the old cars,       on a new set of plugs and the plugs get so fouled up  just after a few miles,    (i'm having  problems),      can they get so fouled that they should be replaced,  or can you burn them clean,   right now i'm having so many problems that i'm not thinking very good & need help,  thanks   jerry            come on people someone must know

JimNolan

Jerry,
    You've got to get rid of whatever is causing the plugs to foul. If it's OIL, you need to find out where it's coming from. The umbrella seals around your valve stems may be cracked and letting oil into the combustion chamber through the valve guides. If it's piston rings you may have to do an overhaul on the engine. If the plugs are black and sooty it's because you're carburator may be putting too much fuel into the engine to get good combustion. A vacuum gauge will let you know if you're carburator is adjusted properly or if you're timing is to far retarded. There's chapters of information on how to use a vacuum gauge on the internet. I use one to set my carburator, ignition timing and check condition of engine. It's a valuable tool that will pretty much tell you whatever is wrong with your engine. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Lou

How about telling us the year of the engine, and the make and number of sparkplugs you are using?

shopratwoody

It appears to be his stock 57 Ford. I always used Motorcraft with good luck. Check
the heat range also. Too much ideling is hard on the too if everything isn't right. :unitedstates:
If it has a Holley check the Power valve too, it'll flood it out bad.
I hate blocksanding!

geraldchainsaw

sorry guys,  its my 51 ford flathead,   239 block,   8cyl,    what happened is one of the valve retainer clips  broke,   so there was no compression  in one cyl,     but enough on my problems,     i'll hit u later on some others,    jerry