News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Bring me back to the 70's if you all will.

Started by Custom300Madman, 2012-04-28 18:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Custom300Madman

:006: Hello I'm looking to learn which earlier engines had ford AOD such as this application 460/AOD or 351C/AOD or 351Windsor with Automatic Overdrive Transmission. My leg is broke so I'm doing my college courses online (computer hybrid classes) and I'm trying to figure out what move I'm going to make in a couple months when I can start working on the 57 Ford and Driving it!  :unitedstates:

-One Legged College Student
1957 Ford Custom 300 Fourdoor, with factory 312 yblock

Custom300Madman

312 Y block to AOD would be spiffy!

chiggerfarmer

The Y-Block with the AOD conversion would be my choice, too. That way you retain the neat original engine and have the benefit of the overdrive transmission.  I've been reading about the 460 swap on this and other forums and it's not exactly difficult, but not without a few changes either. I think you would like the Y-Block. Just my 2 cents worth.
If you can\\\'t dazzle others with your brilliance, then baffle them with bullcorn

Zapato

As much as I like the looks and sound of a Y-block it wouldn't be my first choice and that's without even having any idea of the conversion cost. Without considering the -mod- engines my choice would be a 5.0 AOD combo. Much cheaper to build, great aftermarket support and if you're on the road and say you have a water pump failure the odds of finding one say on a sunday afternoon headed home are going to be much greater than if you had a y-block.

And since you asked about 60s era motors rather than 50s my guess [might be wrong] but you probably weren't considering a Y-block anyway.
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

bossguy

The 460 used a E4OD trans, so did the 351 W and C. The "E" stands for electronic. It's very heavy and has a shift control programed in its processor and many inputs from the vehicle. These engines had too much torque for the 302 style overdrive. I think the aftermarket has some workarounds for the E4OD. The 429/460 has a different bolt pattern than the 351 W/C. The cleveland never came with an overdrive.

Frankenstein57

Just curious if that motorcycle had anything to do with the broken leg? Mark

Custom300Madman

frankenstein no the Mercedes had to do with the broken leg, but yeah guys I think the aod is the best for me. Chigger, we need to get this car on the road man! I do like the idea of just having a 351w aod combo to drop in. I need to do some research and find out what cars had those engine aod combos, maybe 71-75 ford mustangs, ltd, thunderbird.

you guys don't even want to know what a broken leg bill is prior to having the second surgery for a college student is. no issuance yikes, I could have some serious Barrett Jackson cash if I had told them to just cut it off LoL!