News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Shipping Fenders

Started by Lou, 2012-05-01 15:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Lou

I have a nos left fender and a good used right front fender. I would like to put them on eBay but I can't figure out how to pack them for shipment. I'm open for suggestions.

gasman826

Building a crate would be best if shipping by freight.  The cost of crating and freight would exceed the value of the fenders.
Greyhound is more economical than freight but does not go door to door.  Heavy boxing would still be practical.
Ebay with local pickup and let the buyer figure it out.
Network with people on forums to see who's going where.
I have used Uship.com.  Someone moving or on vacation or a shipper with just a little room left over are the usual deal makers for a one time shipment.
It's really tough to offer competitive shipping when you don't know where it is going.  I've passed on many a deal for the lack of shipping arrangements.  Now is the time with summer travel season with NASCAR, visits to prospective colleges, job changes, car shows, Hot Rod Power Tour....

Zapato

Lou, In what seems like another lifetime I was pretty heavy into Datsuns mostly 620 p-ups and 510 coupes. Part of the way I funded my addiction was to buy mostly taiwanese fenders and bumpers out of LA. Shipping was almost always done by freight to us, mostly sold locally but a few times we did ship a fender/bumper in those cases we shipped by Greyhound. As far as packing them they always arrived in cardboard boxes that resembled the fender shapes. pretty heavy board and they always had added structure be it cardboard or wood to keep the boxes from collapsing. And even then depending who the shipper was we'd get one or two damaged fenders. I would suggest you swing by a local body shop and see how fenders come to them, most will have a box to show you to get the brain juices flowing.

Hope this helped.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

mtwilsonboy

I shipped fenders and inner fenders. I used a couple of big boxs cut and taped together good with duct tape
Shipped it grey hound for 45.00 I think it was.

geraldchainsaw

the last time i bought a set of fenders out of Missouri,   they came bare back,  no boxes or anything,  just a mailing address,  didn't have no problems,    just a thought,   jerry

glen b henderson

Gasman, off topic and I apologize for hijacking this thread, but my curosity has got the best of me. Based on your handle (forum name), I'm juessing you were on a NASCAR pit crew at on time.
Freedom is not Free

Meteorman

We receive fenders and other body parts all the time. Your best way is wrap them in lots of bubble wrap and then cover in card board, try to keep it to the shape and as small as possibly.If you put it in a crate or box the freight rates will go up rapidly as they will what they call cube it. Greyhound is the way to go unless you know some body going that way.

gasman826

Quote from: glen b henderson on 2012-05-01 20:21
Gasman, off topic and I apologize for hijacking this thread, but my curosity has got the best of me. Based on your handle (forum name), I'm juessing you were on a NASCAR pit crew at on time.
One of my former lives was as a Computer Systems Engineer for GM doing automotive electronic diagnostics for the dealer technicians (more commonly referred to as a scanner).  It is common when the software is modified or updated that the engineer documents the change in a change log and earmarks the modified code.  Often, the engineer uses their initials (GAS) and the date.  I had been with the project for so many years that the source code had GASmmddyyyy all over it.  "GAS, you're the MAN" from a supervisor IE. my handle GASMAN.  I've spent my entire life with wrenches in my hands or developing electronic tools for on-board computers (EFI).  Nuts, bolts, gas, oil, noise...live for it no matter if it is NASCAR (there for the 1st NASCAR race at Michigan International Speedway in '69), NHRA at Milan Dragway, John Deere in the field, boats, bikes, off road, Mickey Thompson, Hot Rod Power Tour...still working of the bucket list.