News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Lizard Skin

Started by Ford Blue blood, 2012-05-06 16:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/alternative-lizard-skin-103610.html

For those of you that have looked at and discarded the idea of using "Lizard Skin" or "Cool Car" becaause of the high cost the above link will give some food for thought.  Sound too simple but a close friend has done this and the restults are simply amazing.  A 1941 Olds sounds and feels like a late model Caddy!  He sprayed the stuff on with the HF under coat gun, mixed it 1/3 gal of paint - 1/2 gal of micro ballons.  He did the floors, fire wall, interior sides, inside the doors, the trunk area and the roof.  He used 2 mixed gallons, put a couple of coats on the floor and fire wall.  After watching him put this stuff on...start with the roof and work your way down!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

glen b henderson

Sounds like an interesting witch's brew Bill. One thing that I have used that I like is Dura Liner roll on bed liner. I used it in the Falcon and it seems to be holding up pretty good. I am sure that it has some insulating qualities.
Freedom is not Free

RICH MUISE

If I had only seen this a few years ago...great thread with lots of interesting info if you read through it...micro ballons..who would have thought. A number of guys using non-automotive foil backed insulation also...which is what I'm currently installing now. I used the bubblewrap/foil insulation on my roof because it is incredibly light...didn't want any insulation falling down onto my headliner. Bought it at lowe's for about 20 bucks, and had some left over. on the floor, I'm laying down the rubber/foil 1/8 type I bought at a roofing supply house. One of the posts on that thread mentioned something I just found out a few weeks ago...If the adhesive on the rubber/foil looses some of it's grip, you can reheat it with a heat gun (he used a torch), just before sticking it down and it'll grab like crazy. I'm actually gonna do 2 layers..the second one being actual automotive jute with the foil.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

I have used a few "non-automotive" subsitutes over the years.  The heat/sound mastic I use is a McMaster-Carr item.  32 X 54 X 1/8 sheet is 9 bucks.  Sticks down really good and put the foil tape on it to seal it up.  Have used "Reflexit" (bubble wrap) from Lowe's for years, use liquid nains to hold it up, never had any come down.  I will do the "cheap" lizard skin on the Ranchero when that time comes around.  Glen I have used the bed liner under the floor pans, does a great jod as seam sealer.  Roofing cement works well as seam sealer also.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II