News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranch Wagon sliding window channel

Started by cstmwgn, 2014-02-12 17:46

Previous topic - Next topic

cstmwgn

I am looking for a source on window channel to redo the sliders on my wagon.  It needs to be OVER 96" long which is the major challenge.  I have only found one manufacture that makes them in 108" but they only sell them in 50 counts so I am trying to locate a retail supplier that has them on the shelf.  I am also looking for detailed pictures of the original latches.  I removed mine 20 years ago and just cant remember if the channel is different in the area where the latch slides into the channel.  Pictures would be very helpful.

Thank you.

Allen   

SkylinerRon

Maybe you could ask the manufacturer which vendors have purchased them.

Ron.

wildhog

Allen, Try restoration speciaities in Pa. they are listed in our service suppler links. Click on that link and click on links and scroll down to find them. A lot of good suppliers on that page for almost every thing you need for you 57. Hope this helps Tom
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

cstmwgn

Quote from: wildhog on 2014-02-13 11:08
... Try restoration speciaities in Pa. ...
Thanks Tom.  I have been in contact with Jeff at Restoration Specialties and he has my name and continues to keep his eyes open but wasn't optimistic that he would be able to help me anytime in the near future.  I got some from him years ago but it was old stock that he acquired through bulk purchase of another business's inventory. 

I did review the suppliers list and there wasn't any one on that list that I have not already contacted.  I also called the manufacturer and ask them for retailers that would have it in stock.  The only thing that they could do was give me their largest distributors - not distributors that actually purchased/stocked that particular item. 

I do appreciate the help and advice.  If any members have a 2 door wagon with the original window hardware - could you take a picture of the window channel at the "B" pillar where the window latch plate/mechanism slides into the window channel (not the actual latch but the medal that slides over the glass that slides into the channel).   I am going to have to make something work - like splicing two pieces together and I just can't remember if there is some special hardware at that point that I could use to break/splice the window channel on.

Ford Blue blood

Found channel at my local upholstery supplier, it was the correct length to run the entire install with no splices.  Car has been sold and these are the best pics I have of the sliders.  They and the channel go in before the fixed rear portion, top first, little phillips screws through the channel into the body hold it in.  Do the top channel first, raise the glass into the upper channel, position the lower channel on the glass and slide it into place.  Put the lower screws in.  Place the fixed glass and it's rubber in place and install the interior garnish. 
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

cstmwgn

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2014-02-13 15:24
Found channel at my local upholstery supplier, it was the correct length to run the entire install with no splices.  Car has been sold and these are the best pics I have of the sliders.  They and the channel go in before the fixed rear portion, top first, little phillips screws through the channel into the body hold it in.  Do the top channel first, raise the glass into the upper channel, position the lower channel on the glass and slide it into place.  Put the lower screws in.  Place the fixed glass and it's rubber in place and install the interior garnish.

Thanks for the pictures.  I am still confused about why Ford made a relief in the body (B-Pillar) and the inside window bezel at the latch mount area when there doesn't appear to be a need for it.  I just couldn't remember what the original hardware looked like.

C/squire/DelRio

Own a 57 Del Rio but it is in storage, let me go there an take some pictures it will take me some days as it is not so close....Clearly remember that I put new channels on it but ...it was like 20 years ago.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: cstmwgn on 2014-02-13 19:35
Thanks for the pictures.  I am still confused about why Ford made a relief in the body (B-Pillar) and the inside window bezel at the latch mount area when there doesn't appear to be a need for it.  I just couldn't remember what the original hardware looked like.

The relief is to let the channel expand as the mount for the latch wraps around the glass. 

Forgot one little item, there is a rubber block at the end of the lower portion of the channel that the window will bump up against.  I just don't remember how long it is, about 1/2" I think.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Bill, looking at your pics got me to wondering if that channel is the same as the channel that is on the front doors and back quarters of the Custom sedans. If it is, I'll see if I can get thru to Dale at Classic auto parts to talk to him about supplying them in longer lengths. The 108" length mentioned is what is needed? Where did you get yours, may be they still have some?
Cstmwgn.....I may do Desert Valley Auto Parts in Arizona in about 3 weeks, if I do, I'll pay more attention to the wagons they have there.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Rich I couldn't really say if it is the same.  This stuff was a straight piece, stock for what ever it could be used in.  I used the same type of material when I put my 36 together.  As it came off the shelf it was the perfect length, no trimming required.  I just can't remember how long it was.  Took two of them at $37.95 each to do both sides.  Place is a local supplier for shops in the area, they have paint, vinyl, heavy board panels, fasteners and clips, fuzzies and glass setting tape plus a bunch more of stuff.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

cstmwgn

update - I pulled the side glass out today.  My old beaded window channels are 100" long.  I am resigned to the fact that I am not going to find the 108" pieces so I guess I am going to have to come up with some kind of splice deal. 

Thanks for all your help.

RICH MUISE

Out of curiosity, does that channel look like it would be the same as what's in the top/backside of the front door?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

cstmwgn

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-02-16 19:43
Out of curiosity, does that channel look like it would be the same as what's in the top/backside of the front door?
Yes it does.  It seems that the Y528 or Y526 is dimensionally correct - it is just too short!

Awca12a

Hope these pictures help from my Del Rio