News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

non-oem windshield washer

Started by RICH MUISE, 2014-06-02 21:53

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

trying to whittle down my still-to-do list, tonight I installed a washer reservoir I had pulled out of an early 0's Mustang. I like the looks of it with just the neck sticking into the engine compartment. It's got a built-in pump, just 2 wires, and I've already got the Mustang steering column multifunction switch wired for it.
I would have prefered the filler neck not so close to my air cleaner, but I ran out of options. I'll just have to be careful filling.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Rich
   I can't help but notice that recess lip that you put on your inner fender well for the neck of the windshield washer reservoir.  How in the world did you do that?  Jay

petew

Nice placement , looks like the factory put it there.

RICH MUISE

Thanks...and only 5 bucks to boot.
Jay..that's not a real good pic..it's not a recess, just a rubber grommet I made from a piece of vacumn line hose slit lengthwise.

Zapato

really looks great, definitely nicer looking than the stock bag of its day.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

BWhitmore

Rich - is there any concern that when the bottle is filled there could be enough vibration to eventually cause the neck to break off?  I am wondering if a support bracket of some sort under the bottle might be helpful.  Looks like a factory installation. 

RICH MUISE

It is bolted on at the oem factory locations at the front and rear of the reservoir. There is no pressure at all at the neck as it's not a supporting point...the neck just passes thru the hole. Some other oem units I looked at do have brackets as well, the Mark viii's did, but did not have a minimal reveal of the tank as this one does. I may add a bracket as the oem supports are just tabs moulded in to the design..same material/plastic as the reservoir...so brittleness causes by aging will come in to play at some point, and it's already at least 11 years old. It's posible the Mustang wheelwell had a supporting shelf or other feature that supported it as well.
Also, a few years ago I did a post on some really neat small chrome reproduction(Chevy)nozzles. I've got one pushed temporarily onto the hose that's hanging over the wheel well in the pic.

Ecode70D

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-06-03 07:53
Thanks...and only 5 bucks to boot.
Jay..that's not a real good pic..it's not a recess, just a rubber grommet I made from a piece of vacumn line hose slit lengthwise.

You sure did fool me! 

VwDrvFnd

I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

Lucky'57

Wow, just Wow Rich. That looks amazing.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

electricalan

Returning from a long hibernation!!!

Jeff Norwell

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

RICH MUISE

Quote from: BWhitmore on 2014-06-03 09:15
Rich - is there any concern that when the bottle is filled there could be enough vibration to eventually cause the neck to break off?  I am wondering if a support bracket of some sort under the bottle might be helpful.  Looks like a factory installation.
I did get a bracket made up for it today from 1/8 x 1 bar stock.  I'll get it painted and put on tommorrow. Thanks for getting me to think about it, Bill.
I appreciate all the nice comments from the rest of you guys!

hiball3985

JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

WOW Jim
  That's kinda scary.
Jay