News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero Bed Stainless Trim & Tilt Column

Started by KYBlueOval, 2014-12-01 12:33

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I found someone that has a piece of the stainless steel trim that mounts on the top of the truck bed sides, but since I'm brand new to Rancheros, I haven't a clue as to what I should pay. The piece  is the curved section , on the right hand side , that goes up against the stainless piece on the tailgate. There is a similar piece on the left side, but he has only the right. The piece is in reasonably good shape.The usual scratches, minor dents, no "Extra holes". What is a fair price for such a piece?

I'm looking for advise on what year and applications,  of tilt steering columns, with or without the shifter,  that have been used on '57 Fords? I'd like to retain the original steering wheel, or a smaller version of the original wheel. What have ya'll done/used?
Thanks
John

JimNolan

I don't exactly know which piece your talking about but I tried to sell the paint breaks (stainless pieces that separate the two tone paint at the tailgate) but no one wanted them. I'd think it couldn't be worth an arm and leg. If he doesn't have the other side it's almost as bad as not having either. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

KYBlueOval

Jim, I'll try to better describe the piece . If you are at the rear of the Ranchero, looking towards the front of the vehicle, the ribbed stainless steel is attached at the top of rear quarter panels, as the stainless comes back towards the tailgate, it turns toward the tailgate. The piece I'm referring to is the curved piece, that is located on the top of the right quarter panel, just above the right tail light.
He only has the one piece. I'm fine with getting just one piece, just don't know what it is worth. Got any idea?
I have the two stainless pieces that separate the two tone pint. I would think they are very desirable, but then I'm new to all this, and readily admit to not know much about my new Ranchero. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
John

JimNolan

I know what you're talking about now. with as many rancheros that's being built and driven on this website looks like you could find some extra bed rail. Best I remember those are the pieces that rusted so bad. The may have been chrome pot metal instead of stainless. If that guys got a good piece, I'd grab it. I don't think they repop that. Maybe some of you Rancheros guys can get in here. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

RICH MUISE

Jim, the two pieces, from what I've seen, that are chrome and hard to find, are the top two corners at the roof, and if I understood correctly, he needs the ones over the tailights in the back next to the tailgate. I belive everything else is stainless except those two top corners, so probably not that hard to find.
KY..I don't have a clue what it's worth, but think I have pics of a Ranchero at Desert Valley Auto in Phoenix that has the trim on it...I'll see if I can find it.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Found the pics, but it doen't show the pices you're looking for as tha car was stacked on top of another..I just know at least some of the trim was there..including the two rusty top corners.

57chero

I have the pieces your looking at, they fit 57 and 58 the 59,s are different it sounds like mine might be a little nicer condition. I get $35 each which is probably low compared to most of them floating around out there. Ill sell you the left one or the pair.

Zapato

Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Limey57

I think the reason that the rusted pieces in Rich's picture were chromed mild steel and not stainless like the rest is due to their shape, the more complex bends would have been a lot harder to press out in stainless steel which explains the decision to use mild steel for those pieces.  I got lucky and had two N.O.S pieces for those.  The only disadvantage is that nice chrome plating shines a lot more than old dull stainless so it's out with the polishing mop to try and turn hard, dull stainless into a nice mirror finish....

Gary

1957 Ranchero

KYBlueOval

Thanks to all that replied.
The fella that has the piece I was describing found the other side in his stash of parts........so I'm buying the pair.
Great site guys. I know when I post a question, I'll get good, make that really good, information.
Anyone have thoughts or information on a tilt column that will work in a '57?
Thanks
John

RICH MUISE

Tilt column thoughts....jmho, but it could be a complicated issue if you go further than an aftermarket column like flamming river. Even then you'll have to deal with shifting mechanisms, horn button (57 oem is one of few that the horn wire is fed thru a center hole in the column shaft). A lot of the decision on trying to use an oem later model steering wheel is what you are doing to the rest of the interior. If you're staying basically stock, imho, very few later model steering wheels are going to look like they belong.
Give us an idea of what you're wanting interior-wise, and if mods to the steering box setup are being considered, and you may get some guys jumping in with suggestions on how to get to where you want to be.
Examples of what I'm talking about..Gary (gasman826) is using a tilt wheel in his project from a t-bird, but is also adapting the dash, console, seats, etc, etc.
I honestly don't remember seeing any other oem tilt columns adapted to a '57 posted here...maybe I missed some that others have posted.
I'm using a 97 Mustang column (w/tilt) in my project car...but it ain't gonna work in 99.9% of '57 Fords...and many would argue it don't work in mine either..LOL...but here's a recent pic...

VwDrvFnd

I have done a lot of research on putting in an aftermarket tilt wheel (Flamming River, IDIDIT).
The only real issue i can see in installing one is what steering box you are going to use and if you are going to have shift on the column or on the floor.. The issue with the steering box is clearance with the end of the box and the shifter linkage between the firewall plate. I am going to be using the Borgenson Power steering box. From what i can tell the box is longer and closer to the firewall plate so modifing the original steering column will be required. I dont know any of this first hand because i havent done it yet. Maybe someone that has put in an aftermaket column will chime in on the details fo the install.
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

KYBlueOval

Thanks for the information on the Steering column. Being a Street Rodder, cutting up a column to make it fit/work does not scare me away. When I figure out what works...........I'll let ya'll know.
Thanks
John

jumping jack flash

I haven't been on here for a while. I hope I'm not too late to respond.Jim Nolan , you mentioned having some paint breaks, and I would be interested if they are in good condition. I have some now but they are all needing work. Would $50.00 be a fair price for the pair? Let me know please. Jack Flash

John Palmer

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-12-01 19:14
Jim, the two pieces, from what I've seen, that are chrome and hard to find, are the top two corners at the roof, and if I understood correctly, he needs the ones over the tailights in the back next to the tailgate. I belive everything else is stainless except those two top corners, so probably not that hard to find.
KY..I don't have a clue what it's worth, but think I have pics of a Ranchero at Desert Valley Auto in Phoenix that has the trim on it...I'll see if I can find it.

I was in Phoenix over Thanksgiving week.  I have been looking for just the "hood safety latch hook" with the spring that bolts to the bottom side of the hood on my Ranch Wagon.  As you know, this is a 57-58-59 part, and it's not even model specific like the trim parts in question.  I called up Desert Valley, told them what I needed, they called me right back to say they had it. 

They wanted $75.00, for a freaking crudely stamped out piece of metal, and a return spring! 

I'm still looking, and would be happy to pay a reasonable price.  I can understand supply and demand driving the price of a rare part, but they made millions of these hood hooks.