News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

my side mirrors

Started by RICH MUISE, 2015-03-21 19:26

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I really liked the larger size of these, the shape of the riser, and the fact they were angled from the base, which made it easier to get room for the wing window. Only problem...they had a bowtie embossed on them.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

wighty

So what are they and where did you get them?  Is the bowtie hidden by the Ford logo?

hotroddonnie

57AGIN

Rich:

Hey, a little grinder and the bow tie is gone and you can then get the darn things triple plated.  You are then good to go.

I know what you mean, as my outside mirrors are both the Ford re-pops and they do get in the way of the wing window.  Unless they are rotated to the point that the mirror almost doesn't work for viewing.

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

Yes the logo is over the bowtie. I picked up some self adhesive aluminum foil rectangular stickers...I believe they are for door sills, and trimmed the oval with scissors and a file. Tommorrow I'll get the mirror number and post it.....posibly as in some Ford licensed stuff, they are made with and without the logo. I've got some smaller foil stickers as well which may or may not cover the bowtie. If I decide to leave the blue oval on, I'll attach them with an adhesive that will be more permanent than the self adhesive. The Ford emblems are made by Scott Drake, and I got both items at Socal in Phoenix.

RICH MUISE

Here's some better pics so you can see the angle and the shape of the riser. Also some pn's. The Bob Drake packaging calls the logo a decal, but it is not. It's embossed aluminum, about .010 thick. The smaller one I had mentioned is too small by about 1/8.
If anyone buys these, or ONE of these, make sure the direction of the base angle is correct. I may have switched boxes, but I don't think so...the one in the pics below was in the Right side box, which of course would angle it into the wing window.
The mirrors were $50 each, and as I mentioned I got mine at Socal, but we all know how many Ch*** dealers there are around.

djfordmanjack

They work very well, Rich !  I like the swept back look and how they clear the vent windows.
Hey, all the bowtie guys are using our 9" axles, so it's ok to use their mirrors I guess  :003:
It is difficult to fit mirrors to the 57 especially the psgr side. I will use 1960 Mercury turnpike cruiser remote units on the front fenders.
I like the color on your car. is that the og Gun metal or a modern version of it ?

RICH MUISE

LOL...caught again. Another Chevy thing..dark tarnished silver '05ish? Chevy HHR. After looking around for weeks, kept going back to one that was in the parking lot at work everyday, a coworker's.

sprink88

I was watching your build on HAMB. I love your interior. What  is it out of? it looks so clean. And as far as the dash, that fit too? Or did you have to modify it?
~Chris

RICH MUISE

Thanks, Sprink. This is called a budget build. Mostly put together from salvage yard and home built stuff. I couldn't afford new seats, or even upholstery for recovering old seats. The front and back seats are Mitsubishi Eclipse ('93ish I think).....cleaned up and redyed including dying the Ford blue oval into the fabric. Door and back panels I made, as well as the rear package shelf that comes way down on the sides. The dash is the oem '57 filled in, padded and covered. I added the lower panels to it, made from sheetmetal. I made the console (all metal)from 1" round tubing that started life in the form of porch swing arms, and sheetmetal. The shifter is '95 Lincoln Mark VIII from my drivetrain donor car. The fully functional steering column is '97 Mustang, the wheel itself a few years newer '03ish Mustang. The dash panel I had machined from 1" 6061-t6 aluminum. Headliner was a presewn kit, the carpet was done from yardage. All the garnish rails have been covered with vinyl, as will be the windshiel garnish rails after I get my windshield in. My sunvisors are from a Sedan DeVille...perfect fit, recovered with the headliner material and welded to the '57 support arms.
I just changed the radio out with a soft silver one. Didn't like the lt. grey colored one I had in there. Nice thing about the new radio is it has variable color illumination lighting, so I was able to tune it (or tone it) pretty close to my gauge's lighting color. I'll post a pic of that later.

LAUDY57

Rich, I've forgotten- what is your interior rear view mirror from?
"That Guy" keeps stealing everything I put down!

RICH MUISE

Lorne, I forgot also...let me check, but I do remember someone finding a better solution after I posted what I used. Mine will need some minor mods to install because of thread size.

RICH MUISE

The inside mirror I bought was for a 53-55 pickup. Vintique #BAAA-17682-SS. Sounds like a Ford pn, but not sure...I had it in the back of my head it was another Chevy thing. The threaded post is a smaller size than the '57 OEM. I was going to tack weld a nut on the inside of the '57 bracket. I can't remember who it was, and I couldn't find the thread, but someone had found a similar mirror with the right size thread that was also a low priced one.

RICH MUISE

Sprink..you had asked about the dash, etc. here's a few earlier pics that will show how I got there.
The tan vinyl on the dash was later changed to a lighter colored vinyl.

RICH MUISE

a few more. The second pic shows the before and after dying of the seats. Driver's side is as I got them. Last pic is one of the lower dash panels I added.