News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero / Wagon Gas Cap

Started by KYBlueOval, 2015-06-17 05:39

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I have a Ranchero I'm building  that does not have a gas cap. I have the filler neck. I see E Bay listings for gas caps for Rancheros and Wagons, and the listings say the cap is unique to these models and thus has a unique ( read High ) price.
It the gas cap on a Ranchero / Wagon different from a sedan convertible etc.?
If it is different, is there a replacement cap?
Thanks
John

Ford Blue blood

Yes, the Ranchero and Wagon caps are vented, the rest of the line uses sealed caps as the tank is vented.  Not sure what you mean about "replacement", both my Ranchero and wagon got new caps from NAPA.  They were in the $15 range, don't remember for sure, been to bed since then!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

What Bill said....I had a harder time finding a non-vented cap for my sedan. Posibly a higher price on the one listed because it was a nos factory correct cap? If your not doing a true restoration to factory specs, it should be a cheap item. It should be in the same price range as a radiator cap, and I just picked up one of those yesterday at O'Reilly's for 7.70
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

I went through gas cap hell on my Ranchero, as do many people with early Ford trucks and early Chevys guys. Vented caps that vent to the atmosphere have been outlawed since the early 70's, thats why original caps are so high priced. New replacement caps that are listed as vented only let air in but not out. On a good hot day the tanks build pressure and don't release it until you remove that cap. Mine was building so much pressure that when you removed the cap gas would fly out and you could hear the tank oil can. After trying several type caps I finally did as the Chevy guys do and drilled a small hole in the cap. A small amount of fumes will come out of the hole as the pressure is released so I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND THIS IF THE CAR IS STORED IN A SEALED GARAGE...
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

KYBlueOval

Thanks to all that replied. I knew I'd get a correct answer from the Forum. Mine is not a restoration, so I'll find a vented cap locally and not look at the $50.00 caps on FeeBay.
Thanks again
John