News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 License Plate

Started by lalessi1, 2016-11-16 18:48

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

I recently discovered that I can put a 1957 Louisiana Plate on my car and legally license the car for street use with it. It costs all of $40ish bucks (not counting the plate that I have to provide) forever, no renewal fees, tags, inspections...really!?! I bought a well restored tag and I can't wait to put it on. Besides that it is LSU colors (not a diehard fan, but)... Curious, how other many other states do this?
Lynn

gasman826

Michigan.  Here it is called Authentic Plate.  I have two '57s plated that way and have plates to register others when I get to it.  The Authentic Plate is coming up on 10 years.  I went through several states on the 2009 Power Tour with no issues.  Their use is so common that car show spectators know enough to check the plate for the year of the car. 

57redwhitered

Kansas.  Cost me $45 to register the tag I got from a tag collector for $10.  By the way this is the first car this tag was installed on as it was never issued.  Also cool as the colors match my car.

I don't know why it is upside down.
1957 Skyliner

Zapato

We have the same kind of deal in Washington and only have to run a rear plate. 57 Washington plate is longer than current plates and are a hideous white on green plate. Have a pair not sure if I'll use them or go with vanity plates.

Zap -  :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

rmk57

I've been running this one for awhile, just in the front though.

Little tribute to Thunder Road.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

57chero

Oregon is the same as Washington only need a rear plate one time fee, you find a nice original or a restored one that was used for the year of car and take it to the DMV if it checks out ok its yours. The 57 plates in Oregon were 56 plates with a yellow metal tag over the 56.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: 57chero on 2016-11-16 22:50
Oregon is the same as Washington only need a rear plate one time fee, you find a nice original or a restored one that was used for the year of car and take it to the DMV if it checks out ok its yours. The 57 plates in Oregon were 56 plates with a yellow metal tag over the 56.
57chero............did you find that dash bracket we have talked about? I still need one. Right side.
Thanks
John

KYBlueOval

Kentucky has a similar law. You register your car as an antique and they issue Antique Plates. With that  antique registration you are allowed to use a Kentucky, year of manufacture plate. But here is where it really gets .........I'll say stupid. There is no requirement to alert the state that you have that year of manufacture plate on your car. The only requirement is that you have the Antique plate that was issued, in the car with you.I keep a copy of the law in my cars, as the police are unaware. Ask me how I know.

geraldchainsaw

ok,  this what i have done with all the old cars i've had,     i buy a michigan ;plate with as many numbers as i can match on it and find another one with the numbers or letters i need to complete the plate,  i cut out the numbers or letters 2" x 3",  and match to plate i'm making,  weld them in and finish,   while not perfect they do pass license plate standards for michigan         forgot to add,  those are my initials also,    and i ALSO,  painted the PEPE la pue,    jerry

JPotter57

Mississippi allows you to run a YOM plate, without registering it.  As long as you have a current standard or antique plate and correct papaerwork in the car, you can run the plate that matches your car.  I have my 57 registered with an antique tag ($50 one time, no yearly renewal), and have an uncirculated 1957 Mississippi plate on the car.  I bought it off ebay about 10 years ago, before they started selling for big money.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

Texas allows YOM also..not sure about the details though.
Jerry.......Nice touch on the plate and Pepe!! I never would have thought one could make their own plate. Thanks for that tip!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JPotter57

That plate is rockin`, Jerry.  Very cool.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

57chero

John (KYBlueOval) sent you a PM about the dash bracket.

Jeff Norwell

We have YOM plates here and i have 2 perfect sets.The problem is the govt. wants $251 to register them and then a $140 cost every year to have a renewal fee(sticker).....Our left wing windbags are out of control.I run a historic plate and its only 18 bucks to renew every year.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com