News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

6 cyl. vs V8 motor mounts

Started by 59meteor, 2017-07-19 20:56

Previous topic - Next topic

59meteor

Although to my eyes, the stock motor mounts look the same for the 6 cylinder and V8 applications, but I have been told that they are different. Can anybody confirm that, and if so, what is the difference? I know years ago when I swapped in a FE 360 into my 57 Sedan Delivery, the old 272 Y Block mounts bolted right up to the FE block. In some catalogs, it appears that new 6 cylinder mounts are available, but I have yet to see new V8 mounts. I am actually looking for mounts for my 59, the mounts look identical to 57-8 mounts, except instead of the 2 studs on the bottom of each mount used on 57-8s, 59s have a single stud, located in the middle. I understand Ford used these same mounts  from 59 thru 1962, although I am not sure if there is any difference between the 6 and V8 mount design.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

SkylinerRon

Rory,
The offset between the studs and holes is different.
I have a NOS 6 cyl mount that I bought back in the 80's by mistake (B7A-A).
Looked the same till I matched it up,  oops!
I'd sell it if anyone needs it.
Ron.

hiball3985

A little off topic but does anyone know of a good after market replacement? The ones I use SUCK! I think they were Anchor, made in India or Mexico, I can't recall. I ran without the hood on for a few days when breaking my engine in and every time I hit a small bump in the road I could see the engine bounce around like it was mounted on Jello  :005:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

billd5string

So the original '57 mounts used two studs, but later on Ford went to a single stud? That answers one of the hack questions on my car. It has two slotted holes on the motor mount pads, but it also has a badly cut (by torch I assume) center hole in them. And when I pulled the 312 out, it had single stud motor mounts. So at some point, they must have went to replace the motor mounts and used the wrong, single stud versions.

1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

hiball3985

Quote from: billd5string on 2017-07-21 09:28
So the original '57 mounts used two studs, but later on Ford went to a single stud? That answers one of the hack questions on my car. It has two slotted holes on the motor mount pads, but it also has a badly cut (by torch I assume) center hole in them. And when I pulled the 312 out, it had single stud motor mounts. So at some point, they must have went to replace the motor mounts and used the wrong, single stud versions.
Thats exactly what they did, later mount and cut the hole to match. Any port in a storm..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Or at one time the car could have sported a later model engine. My 4.6 dohc using 2001 Mustang motor mounts uses the single stud, therefore has the center hole added to the oem motor mount pads, or in my case a single slot in the center. As for the "rough cut, I'm guessing that may be frequent....you can't exactly put them in a milling machine for a nice machined slot., although I did mine with a cutoff tool.....hopefully neater than a torch cut.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

billd5string

Somehow that makes it even funnier to me - that within a couple years, they went to single studs, and were still using them as late as '01 (probably the same as in my '07 Crown Vic). But the motor mounts I'm using for my 460 have 2 studs, and they're from a late 80's truck. I guess Ford couldn't decide which one was the "better idea".   :felix:
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

lalessi1

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2017-07-21 07:20
A little off topic but does anyone know of a good after market replacement? The ones I use SUCK! I think they were Anchor, made in India or Mexico, I can't recall. I ran without the hood on for a few days when breaking my engine in and every time I hit a small bump in the road I could see the engine bounce around like it was mounted on Jello  :005:

I just bought and installed a pair of Anchor Mounts. The box said "made in the USA" which is why I bought them. Turns out the ones I replaced had completely  failed, the rubber cleanly separated at the metal. Turns out they were ANCHOR mounts TOO!!!!
Lynn

hiball3985

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2017-07-21 12:25
I just bought and installed a pair of Anchor Mounts. The box said "made in the USA" which is why I bought them. Turns out the ones I replaced had completely  failed, the rubber cleanly separated at the metal. Turns out they were ANCHOR mounts TOO!!!!
That just means the box was made in the USA  :003: And I forgot to mention the studs were to long and you couldn't get them to drop into the perches. I had to remove them and measured against the OEM and had to cut about 3/8 - 1/2" off, damn after market off shore crap  :005:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

These look promising with a bit of modification..... May work in a '59, worth a call.
https://www.hedman.com/product-detail/4715

Lynn

gasman826

I drill and bolt all engine mounts not only as movement limiters but also for safety.  I don't care if they say FOMOCO or China on them, I don't trust them!  We've all seen engines chained to frames.  JEGs and Summit sell limiter kits!    Bolt through the mount is a lot more subtle.

57AGIN

And for all 57 owners going to a small block Ford, don't forget the Butch's motor mounts (see his advertisements in Street Rodder).  The small block Fords use a horizontal mount while the Y-block and FE's use some vertical mounts.  Lots of 57 owners try to adapt Mustang or other small block Ford mounts, but they just don't fit properly. The Butch's mounts are triangle shaped and convert the vertical mount 57 motor mount cross member to accept a horizontal mount. The photos show the typical Mustang motor mount beside a Butch's mount before installation and after being installed on the cross member. They are very stable and adjustable.  Hope this helps.

Bob
57 AGIN