News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Special emblem again

Started by Ecode70D, 2017-08-29 10:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

The special emblem mystery is still a mystery.
     I didn't want to hijack Jim Noland's thread so I'll start another one
     At the Friday night cruise, another member jviera gave me this bit of information from Randy Connor. It looks like there is another  57 Ford dash emblem that is similar to the special emblem.
      The one that I got from Tom Drummond is similar but has the word Special on it.      Look at the enclosed picture.   

JimNolan

Every engine had a emblem specific to that engine. 312's, 292' etc. The key words that I took from my research was " we used them till we ran out and we didn't use them after we ran out". I've heard everything. E and F codes, first 3000 cars that came off the assembly line etc. I do know that the first 57's used 56 parts where ever they could and the later produced 57 were stuck together with bolts, nuts etc from where ever they could get them due to Ford running out of parts. I was told the popularity of the 57 Ford was as much a surprise to Ford as it was to Chevrolet.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

thomasso

My E Code assembled in March in Dallas has no glove box emblem.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

JimNolan

I believe the popularity of the 57 Fairlane was due to two things. Ford's design criteria for the 57 was that a 5"2" woman had to stand on the ground flat footed without shoes and be able to see over the top. In accomplishing that task the engineers had to widen the frame and set the passengers inside the frame instead of on top of it. By doing that and putting 14" wheels on the car they were able to accomplish that. Most cars body's were placed on top of the frame before the 57.
The second biggest reason was Chevy put tubeless tires on the 57 Chevy, and everybody knows a tire that don't have a tube can't hold air long.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Ecode70D

X2 What Jim just stated.  I remember them when they first came out.   They were long low and beautiful.    IMHO there was not another car out there that compared to the 57 Fords.   

chapingo17