News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchwagon / Country Sedan

Started by junior58, 2017-09-03 18:25

Previous topic - Next topic

junior58

I got into a Facebook discussion / argument with a guy regarding Ranchwagon / Country Sedan. There was an artist impression of a 57 4 door wagon posted and this guy came on saying it was a Ranchwagon as the name refers to trim level. I went back and countered it by saying "no, it's a Country Sedan as Ranchwagon is 2 door". I gave him all the appropriate body codes (off here) to show all the wagons. He came back still declaring that Ranchwagon was available as a 4 door as he has one as a daily driver. I then asked him to come back to me with the body code off the vin plate and I haven't heard from him since. I suspect someone may have put a Ranchwagon badge on a 4 door, but I could be wrong. Who is right, him or me?
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

djfordmanjack

in 20 years of interest in 57 Ford wagons I have never seen or heard about a 4dr Ranch Wagon. In my opinion it is a designation for the 2dr wagon model. I would as well like to hear from older members who were there in 1957 and know firsthand if there ever was a 4dr RW model. For what it's worth, I just went out and held the 4drCountry Sedan script ( which I got from Bob) up against the bolt pattern of my 2dr DR Ranchwagon ( on the rear quarter panel) and it is not the same stud pattern. so the (rear quarter) Ranchwagon emblem (script) will not fit a 4dr CS script stud pattern without modification.

Ecode70D

In my opinion since it is an artist's impression, any trim cam be painted onto it. 
Now since that one guy stated that he has a 4 dr. wagon  with Ranch wagon script, it must have been attached at some time over the years. 
I can't remember ever seeing Ranch Wagon script on a 4 door.   
Then again don't forget that anything could be ordered in those days.

suede57ford

I the 60's they started using the term RanchWagon on 4dr Wagons. That's what throws some off.  It's like calling a Custom Sedan a Custom 300 or 300 or Fairlane a 500.  It's wrong, but it's often easier to just agree and move on.

The term RanchWagon in the 50's signifired Tudor Wagon.   The Country Sedan was the term for the base 4dr wagon.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

John Palmer

I received my new (November '17) Street Rodder in the mail today.  They have a 1954 Ranch Wagon that was converted into a 1954 Mercury "two door" wagon.  It even has a .060" over 292 "Y" block, with a T-85 over drive in it.  They did a really nice "factory looking" conversion. 

Things like this will cause even more confused "show car" observers down the road. 

ragtop

I get the same confused looks at  car shows with the 58 edsel taillights in my courier

Ecode70D

That's a beautiful Courier!