News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Wurth-it vs. Gearheads 605 Steering Box

Started by briney, 2006-12-09 17:36

Previous topic - Next topic

bagboy

If you are runing an auto colume, we figured out a much better linkgage setup than came with Gearheads 'kit' .We put an AOD in tho with 59 auto colume.  :deadhorse:

bagboy

I would be interested how Briney in Tex. is doing with gearheads box? :006:

briney

Bagboy,

Had planned to work on it at the begging of the month.  I just haven't had the time due to family issues.

Have you installed one? Or are you just interested to see what issues I discover during the process.  I feel i should be able to get it in by the end of July.

I have looked at the parts and reviewed the installation notes and it looks pretty straight forward.

Patrick
If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

bagboy

Yea,I put one in my 57,piece of junk turns out.Save your frame from being modified,check out latest thread on HRBB.Also have pictures of workmanship of sector shaft.Don't waste your time,buy a rack!!!!!!!

cool57

briney

Cool57,

I can answer that question. It is a site named Hotrodders Bulletin Board the link is below.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/

They have a post under the Suspension - Brakes – Steering section regarding problems encountered with the Saginaw 605 steering box.   There are 4 posters who have apparently had a bad experience with the Gearheads power steering unit and had poor customer service when trying to resolve the technical issues they encountered.   

I think that they have absolutely had issues and am concerned about what happened to them, however, If you read my earlier posts I stated the following:

"I do know before purchasing the box I talked to 5 different people who have installed the product and not had any issues.
Additionally, I find it somewhat unbelievable, that a company like Gearheads that has been in business 20 years would knowing
produce an inferior and potentially deadly product as described in the posts you linked us to.  I know they have produced
several thousand units over the last several years and if they were all as bad as the linked post indicated than I think we would
have certainly heard of more horror stories than just those, and further the company would probably not be in business very long.
I do believe they are pretty much like every other company and crank their product out the door in a hurry and am sure they
have their quality control issues.  How that is addressed is critical."

Here is a review of the install showing pictures from R&C.

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/techarticles/135_0404_1950_1960_ford_steering_kit/index.html

I think that Rick's rack is a good product too. Rick has several write ups in leading magazines as well, but as pointed out by RAWms (Roger), there are some issues he had encountered with Rick's product as well. I don't think there is a perfect steering update being produced for the 57's at this point.

One of the main concerns I have with the Rick's rack is the use of a Caviler remanufactured rack.  As you know those cars are half the weight of the 57's.  I am convinced that this unit is undersized and will have to work harder to its job. Additionally, that added weight of the vehicle will probably put undue stress on the components causing premature failure and or metal fatigue. On the other hand the 605 box was designed for full sized G.M. cars. Lastly, I personally do not like the geometry involved in hooking the column up to the rack, (see RAWms pictures).

Cool57,

The hobby takes a back seat to my family issues, as soon as I can get my personal issues family issues resolved I will send an update out on the conversion and let you know my impressions of the product.  I have all the parts lying on the workbench and have read the documentation.  It certainly looks straight forward.

At the end of the day I think it will come down to one's own personal choice on steering products, or any other product for that matter. Things in our hobby come and go "sort of faddish". Big wheels are "in"; blowers were "in" in the late seventies. Cars jacked up in the back in the sixties and seventies were "in", now see how low you can get them, "air ride"

The kind of choice, or disagreement on the best steering system follows the same line as people who buy Ford vs. Ch**y.  You will never be able to convince one owner that there choice is not as good as yours, or vice-versa and no matter which one buy you may still get a lemon, just like a car.

Have a good day.

Patrick   :unitedstates:
Dallas / TX

bagboy

I hope yours works,mine was dangerous to drive.I am sure there are more people that got burned that did nothing. Good luck.Keep upto date. Oh by the way the editor of Rod&custom went with a wurith rack for his car,sayes it all I guess.

markman

Patrick,
I've been following this forum for some time, and I used your input heavily in making my decision to go with the Gearheads power steering for my 70A.  I just wanted to let you know, we just completed all the body work, installed the power steering, and I am elated with how well it works.
It seems there was no shortage of negative input on this system, and I was getting nervous with my decision.  I am happy to say that it works wonderfully, very responsive, no delay or play.  I will post some pictures as soon as I can take time away from driving it.

Mark
Libby, MT

briney

Markman,

QuoteI am elated with how well it works.
It seems there was no shortage of negative input on this system, and I was getting nervous with my decision.  I am happy to say that it works wonderfully, very responsive, no delay or play.

I am glad you had a good experience with the product as well.  It sounds like you are really moving forward in putting some creature comfort updates in your car.  I look forward to seeing your pictures posted under the steering section of the forum. Nowadays it seems like you only hear the negative feedback from people.  As I stated awhile ago, I find it hard to believe that GearHeads would be in business as long as they have been doing so.

I hope you saw my post on my experience with the 605 box under the general tech discussion part of the forum under the subject "Dick's Drop N' Stop brake update and Gearheads 605 steering box conversion". I plan to post my pictures of the upgrade soon.  Did you get a look at the brake conversion I posted this last weekend?

I too am very happy with the Gearheads box and it steers great! 

As I pointed out in my prior posts, I am sure some people had problems with their units and that is unfortunate.  I feel that if vendors are going to sell products they need to:
1.   Stand behind what they sell
2.   Be available for support calls
3.   Be timely with their responses in resolving issues

It seems that both leading steering conversion vendors have some issues.
I for one indorse the product now that I have successfully installed it and tested it.

Thanks for the feedback on my posts. 

I try hard to be as objective and accurate as possible.

Patrick / Dallas TX  :unitedstates: