News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Question about Trim Clips

Started by mrocketscience, 2009-01-03 21:15

Previous topic - Next topic

mrocketscience

I've got a Country Sedan and the rear quarter panel stainless side trim piece is off.  Since the old trim clips are rusted away, I got some new clips from Dennis Carpenter. Anybody know how these things attach to the body? They fit loose in the existing holes. Is there some sort of adhesive that holds them in? Whats the deal??

57 Ford Kustom

They should be the same as a sedan uses, the clips have 2 tabs in the center if you put the clip on the car using a pair of pliers on the 2 tabs and squeeze the clip will be hooked to the quarter panel.

TOM :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

texasmark1

Glad to see this topic raised...

I ordered one of each of the approx 15 different clips in preparation for putting the trim back on my 64B body style Tudor Fairlane 500.  Wanted to see which ones I'd need to order several of and which ones would not be needed.

Some are pretty obvious where they were to be positioned but many are just a bit too big or a bit too small (to fit the trim pieces)... plus some of the old ones had a rubber grommet-type feature that I suppose was there to prevent the entry of water... none of the new ones have this rubber feature...

and, my body shop closed up a few holes during their work and may have made some of the holes smaller just from applying new paint... needless to say, the trim will probably be the last thing I do on this car...

any sugestions on this subject in general in terms of what not to do, what to avoid, what works best, how to keep from scratching paint...??

thanks, Mark
God Bless Texas!

meteor

I used these on my car, in three different sizes.

They worked beautifully. I made a small donut of black dum-dum and slipped it over each stud to act as a gasket.

For each piece of trim - I put on the correct number of clips, held it up to the car (not touching it) and slid the clips along the moulding until they were all in the approx. locations. Starting at one end and working along I put the moulding on the car. The little bits of dum-dum have enough strength to hold the moulding in place while I pop on washers and nuts from the inside. With the nuts tightened loosely I was still able to slide the moulding gently along the surface to get it exactly in place (at door jams for example). Tighten all the nuts and its good to go.
check out my site: www.brightworkautoart.com

57tudor

Hi.

I used the same three clips on all my stainless trim. Makes installation and alignment of the trim pieces very easy.

Good Luck.

Rick
57 Tudor

:smtree2:

texasmark1

I'll have to plead ignorance...

what's "dum-dum"?
God Bless Texas!

wildhog

what is "dum-dum" that is a two part question. First it is any one that thinks a 57 chevy is a better car than a 57 Ford. Second it is soft trim sealer that often comes on a roll that you can peal of a small piece and fill small cracks with. In this case you use a small piece around the threaded base of the clip, to hold it inplace till you can get a nut on the back side.It also keeps water from comming into the bolt hole. hope this helps .Tom
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

Hoosier Hurricane

Mark:

I believe 3M calls it "Strip caulk".  Should be available at your local automotive paint store.  If the salesman is more than 50 years old he'll probably know what "dum-dum" is.

John

JPotter57

Heh, we call that stuff "monkey-poo" here, lol
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

meteor

Quote from: texasmark1 on 2009-01-07 12:02
I'll have to plead ignorance...

what's "dum-dum"?

The stuff I have comes in a box, is black and layered in long strings and says 'automotive dum-dum strip caulking'. This stuff is also good for pugging holes when painting.
check out my site: www.brightworkautoart.com

texasmark1

thanks... that helps...
and the comments about the young salesman was brought home to me recently when I inquired at my local Firestone tire shop about their ability to put on my Port-a-wall whitewalls if I bought some tires from them... the 20-something sales/tech staff had no idea what I was talking about... but finally sent outside to the shop and retrieved an elderly gentleman who promptly replied, "... oh yeah, gangster whitewalls... I put them on all the time 20 years ago..."; so, they got the job on the strength of "Junior's" experience!!

OK, now, time for a new poll...

what are other "terms" of our hobby that most youngsters wouldn't have a clue on...
any suggestions?
God Bless Texas!

Lou

Ask a 20 something  (like I did) to go into your tool box and get you a "church key" to open a can you just broke the tab off of.
After the blank look I said "a beer can opener"...another blank look.

bob1987f

where did you get the clips in the picture? i need to put the chrome on my custom 300 before my 2yr old tears it up from laying in my shop!

oh and im a 20 somthing....(28 on friday), but my dads 60 and raised me on duece coups, 40 fords, flatheads, street rods and gassers.

but of course when i get my 57 done im gunna put a good cdplayer, with some 6x9's and maybe a mild sub in the trunk! ha ha......but ill have my beach boys greatest hits in it thumping "shutdown" as i cruise the town looking for comaros to eat!

texasmark1

trim clips from Concours Parts in Carson City, NV
concoursparts.com

has all sorts of clips...

just totalled up the cost for mine (64B) and it came to about $250, so be prepared to "invest"...
and that didn't include clips for the chrome strip under the door running up to the front fender opening ("hocky strick") or the chrome roof rails... may leave those off as my body shop filled in those holes when they did the work...

speaking of the chrome/stainless trim, any good ideas on getting them polished and looking nice?  I've use regular car polish followed by Brasso... anything else out there that works??

Mark
God Bless Texas!