News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Windlace install

Started by rmk57, 2009-01-29 19:19

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

My Ford Manuel doesn't really get into installing wind lace. I see there are retainers around the door frame,
each retainer has three  prongs with the centre one being longer. Does the extra cloth get pushed through the prongs and centre one bent over? My car didn't come with a headliner or wind lace so I don't have any
reference to how this stuff is attached.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

57chero

I am in the process of putting the headliner in my ranchero, the windlace goes in first, I dont know about other body styles but mine has special clips that pop into two holes along the front of the door jam theres about 6 or 7 that start at the floor and go up to the top of the door, then there is the 3 prong type like you are talking about that run accross the top and down the back side of the jam the center prong is bent at 90 degrees .The windlace goes between that center  prong and the flange of the door jam then you tap it against the flange with a hammer and it holds it in place, then there is 3 seperate pieces that go accross the top of the door that have sharp little tabs that face up on the back side of the strips that are screwed on, all the people Ive talked to say to start at the back then the front then use a plastic putty knife to push the headliner between the windlace and the barbed strips on the sides and it will hook itself .The shop manual has a small section on headliner installation and a couple of pictures of the clips and barbed strips.I live in Oregon so I went out to (SMS AUTO FABRICS) and picked up some windlace about 21 feet for the ranchero  they had the original cloth in the color I needed that cost $70.

rmk57

Thanks for the info. I guess the retaining strips also hold the windlace in place along with the pronged retainers.
Your Ranchero and my Custom should have all  pretty much the same hardware for W/L, H/L installation.
Tucking the H/L between the flange and W/L looks like a lot of patience could be involved. Randy.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429