News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Side glass

Started by 57 imposter, 2012-02-19 16:42

Previous topic - Next topic

57 imposter

I don't think there are many things that will teach [test] your Patience quite like taking side glass out of a car for the first time without a manual. the first quarter window took two of us about an hour, including regaining our composure breaks, and the second one took about ten minutes. The doors are tomorrows project. This thing is going to get power windows, just so I don't have to reassemble window regulators.

RICH MUISE

What model 57 are you working on...If I remember it was the 58 2 dr custom you were converting to a 57
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

57 Imposter,
   When I restored my 57 the window regulators were bad. I paid half as much for a set of electric window regulators than I would for restored window regulators. I forget the name of the place I got them from, I believe it started with an " N ". Anyway, I love mine and they were cheaper and made to bolt into the existing regulator holes already there. I used their switch that utilizes the old handle also. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

57 imposter

Same 58 It's just getting all the things done this time that I didn't do on the first go. Started out with just some sheet metal work and re paint but as these projects seem to go, there never seems to be a good place to stop so I am pretty sure it will be a shell on the frame before it starts going back together.  

57 imposter

Jim  I think you are thinking of Nu-Relics. they do make an excellent choice since there are no modifications needed to install them. I used a set in a 38 Ford.

tarheel57

Nu-Relics makes a good quality product and is very easy to install.Have used them in the past with no problems. Tarheel57

RICH MUISE

I converted my 2dr sedan back windows to stationary so I wouldn't have to deal with either rebuiding the old regulators, or electric...which is what I used in the front (I used the 'electric life' brand because I liked the way the glass mounted to the up and down bracket on pivoting/sliding nylon thingies...alows for a minimum of alignment for it to work smoothly. Two small modifications to the system as it came out of the box to make it function on the '57. I had to remove the factory channel spot welded to the door on the inside where the original regulator slid back and forth. I can post a pic or two if you'd like.
Rich

57 imposter

My first thought was to make them stationary until I remembered that I have an almost constant ,Austrailian sheppard, companion who lives to go, anywhere, anytime so I need to be able to at least crack the quarter windows for a little fresh air for her. And as every dog owner knows any amount of extra effort or expence is well worth it as long as it makes the dog happy.

RICH MUISE

LOL...particularly if it's the wife's dog.

JimNolan

Don't laugh, I've got one that absolutely runs my life. And her comfort is very high on the priority list. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

57 imposter

I knew I wasn't the only one. I can count four good hot rods I no longer have because they wouldn't accommodate the dog.