News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

You guys made me buy this...

Started by mustang6984, 2022-10-06 22:11

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang6984

Yea...I will assemble it, but I am going to take it to him for the head work and any block work that might be needed. Am also thinking about balancing it. I used to do that on the 2300 4-cylinder motors in my work cars, gave me a bit better fuel economy and such a smoother running motor. I want this little guy to run forever!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

KULTULZ

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

gasman826

11239/11250 trunk drops are available as patch panels.  I've installed them.  I think I have a pair on a shelf.

1930artdeco

I have the same issue on my wagon. Going to learn to weld this winter even if it kills me! Well....hopefully not but you get the point :003: .

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

mustang6984

Quote from: 1930artdeco on 2022-10-29 08:52I have the same issue on my wagon. Going to learn to weld this winter even if it kills me! Well....hopefully not but you get the point :003: .

Mike

DITTO!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Fairlane62

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2022-10-29 00:56Yea...I will assemble it, but I am going to take it to him for the head work and any block work that might be needed. Am also thinking about balancing it. I used to do that on the 2300 4-cylinder motors in my work cars, gave me a bit better fuel economy and such a smoother running motor. I want this little guy to run forever!
I love the little 2300s, we used to build them for Mini Stock circle track racing.

Here is a photo of the dog leg I was referring to on the yblock heads.
IMG_20221030_095418.jpg

terry_208

Thank you.  I kept wondering about the dog leg.
Terry

mustang6984

I still have one 2300...in my SVO Mustang...with the turbo...that thing is a screamer!

Thanks for the pic. I will save it in my computer to refer to when I tear down.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

gasman826

lower, outer quarter repair panels

mustang6984

So...in looking around so far, it appears the inside is separating. Outside looks okay. since my experience with body work is minimal,, I think I need to get her inspected by someone who knows what they are doing...then buy the appropriate parts. Otherwise I may wind  up with things i don't need...and not have what I do need.
Gonna try to move that way in a couple of weeks, right now...looking to get the rest of my shop floor concreted so I can use it this winter. New shop...going on hold...spent that money to purchase the land for storage units.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Fairlane62

Yeah I figured a picture would be better than trying to explain what I meant by a dogleg.  The oil passage from the block meets the head at the far left Portion of the recessed area in the picture, then flows over to the right and up the hole to the rocker stand.  We called it dogleg back in the day since it was shaped kinda like a dogs hind leg.

James

mustang6984

Okay...question then as well. Would chamfering the passage holes help the oiling issue? As long as I have it apart...if a little head work will help the flow might as well do it.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

KULTULZ

If the cylinder head(s) have not been planed, that passage will be adequate for a street engine.

The trick is in cutting a head to raise CR or having a block decked  so as not to reduce the size.

Poor design (IMO) ...
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

RICH MUISE

On the body work. Pick one area and go for it. I suggest doing what I did........do floors, trunk, etc. first, and use that to practice on your welding. You don't want to start on outer body panels. You'll never know exactly what it needs on the outside panels until it's stripped to bare metal. Almost assuredly there are areas previously bondo'd and painted that look to be good now with the old paint hiding things.
That said, about your lower rear quarters......... I can't imagine the inners being rotted out and the outers still good, but if in fact that's the case, and not what I talked about in the first paragraph, it would be very difficult, if not impossible to replace the inners with the outers still in place.
In the last pic Gary quoted, the outer panel on the bottom of the pic is a '57, not sure what the other panel is. (may just be lighting/ distortion)
One note on rear quarters.......Custom and Fairlane are NOT the same......inner or outer.
On both of you guys needing to learn to weld..........there's nothing on your rebuilds/mods that can't be done well with a mig, and it's fairly easy to learn. I'd suggest getting a 220v so you can do things like tranny crossmember mods. I've heard a 110 works well for sheetmetal work, but I've never had one.
A second piece of advice on mig..........the flux core wire is pretty much useless.......make sure whatever welder you get is capable of use with solid wire and shielding gas. I've never used a better brand welder, like Lincoln, only Harbor Freight. My first one was giving me issues with the wire feed after a few years. My second one is a HF 220v 180 amp. and I just love it. On my car, I was able to get strong structural welds on 1/4" steel (cross-member mods), as well as getting a non-leaking weld on the gas tank mods I did for my in tank fuel pump. Also, use a good brand wire, like Lincoln. Harbor Freight wire got tossed.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

My OEM quarters were in excellent condition but one of the trunk drops was quite poor.  I installed the trunk drop repair panel without replacing the outer quarter.

I started welding at ten years old.  Never the less, I thought I could always learn more and signed up for a welding class.  I wish I'd attended the class before I bought my first MIG.  The class gave me access to nearly twenty different makes and models of new welders.  Each class, I chose a different welder to experience the features.  I could have been an educated buyer rather than buying by color and what was available.