News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

morfing a 58 custom into a 57 custom 300

Started by 57 imposter, 2011-11-24 13:38

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

And you may want a steering wheel too!
"tires sipped"??? what's that?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 imposter

I probably spelled it wrong but they slice thru the tread crossways about every 1/4 inch or so. It doesn't affect tire wear but gives an all season radial much improved grip on slick surfaces. Hope to give it a pretty good road test this morning. Off to coffee and then just some driving on the freeways around town. Not enough confidence ,yet, to get too far away from the towing company. finished the dash and installed the front windshield garnish molding, except the sun visor mounts, last night. finding the mounting holes thru thick vinyl was a real challenge and by 9pm I thought it would be best to start fresh today. Hopefully I will have a good update on the steering modifications and gearing changes later today.

hiball3985

If you take it out on the freeway could you possibly do a test with the windows down for wind noise off the mirrors? Mine are a rectangle design and the wind noise is horrible at freeway speeds so maybe changing to the oval type may be better. Thank you.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Wonderful...wish I was there in the back seat! those maiden trips are awesome.

57 imposter

Put about 50 miles on today. a couple bugs, the right turn signal was canceling the cruise. Installed a relay for led tail lights and that fixed that issue. Also had to remake the trunk latch rod as it was a little flimsy. As far as handling, the 3/16 I moved the upper spring pockets back, allowed me to go from 2.5 to 3.9 degrees of positive caster which really helped with the power rack and pinion steering. If I was to do it again I think I would move the pockets 1/4 to 5/16 inch. I wanted to to get well past 4 degrees going in so we could get rid of some shims to bring it back to 4 degrees. It drives so much better now than it did with the stock settings that I really don't have much to complain about. also changed out the defective vdo speedometer and just ordered a GPS sender. It sounds like the hot set up, we'll see. Other than a couple of squeaks and rattles to chase down everything seems to be doing what it's suppose to do. Plenty more driving to do before we head out on what should be about a 5000 mile loop.   

RICH MUISE

we're waiting, lol. Any more driving?
PM being sent on your trip, btw.
Goodguys, Scottsdale March 4-6 !!!!

57 imposter

Got about a hundred miles on over the weekend everything seems to be doing what it should. The dash rattle turned out to be just a glove box door latch adjustment. So for so good but you know a gremlin can rear its ugly head at any time so I need to get lots more local miles.

Limey57

Colour really suits the style, looks very nice.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

57 imposter

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2016-01-09 08:36
If you take it out on the freeway could you possibly do a test with the windows down for wind noise off the mirrors? Mine are a rectangle design and the wind noise is horrible at freeway speeds so maybe changing to the oval type may be better. Thank you.
I have driven it on the freeway and am getting pretty good wind noise off the drivers door. The passenger door seems to be pretty good. I really think the noise is mainly caused by the new door seals having not settled in properly. I need some good hot weather to perhaps improve that issue. I really don't think the mirrors are causing ,or improving, the situation.

hiball3985

Quote from: 57 imposter on 2016-01-12 14:57
    I have driven it on the freeway and am getting pretty good wind noise off the drivers door. The passenger door seems to be pretty good. I really think the noise is mainly caused by the new door seals having not settled in properly. I need some good hot weather to perhaps improve that issue. I really don't think the mirrors are causing ,or improving, the situation.
OK, thank you. I drive with the windows down until the temps get below 60. I can put my hand by the mirror to direct the wind around it but that gets old after a few miles  :005: I also have some wind noise from around the door seals when the windows are up and haven't been able to isolate the exact location yet.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57 imposter

Talk about Christmas in January, I got three UPS deliveries yesterday. The last one at 6:30pm was my GPS speed sender. Couldn't wait so I put it in last night I hooked up the hot lead last and the unit had hooked up with 8 satellites, in the garage before I got the nut tight. Long road test this morning, and the speedo. works perfectly hit two of the radar speed signs and was getting the same reading on my dash. About a year before I started this build, I changed out the .279 gears for .370 gears because with the AOD transmission, the thing wouldn't go over a freeway overpass without down shifting. After the change, I was climbing hills like crazy but was running about 2400 RPM at 70. My mileage went from about 26 - 28 MPG down to 19. So I bought a set of .230 gears and with the speedometer working right, I was able to get a good RPM reading. I'm turning 1500 at 60 MPH and about 1850 at 70, exactly what I was hoping for.  I will be making about 180 mile loop to visit a friend and will get a good mileage check but expect, and hope it will improve considerably.     

P.S. I am running 205-75R-15 tires

hiball3985

Thats some impressive milage and hope you get some good numbers on the trip. I'm running 3:89 gears with a 3spd OD behind my 292 and I average 17-18 on trips and thought that was great  :005:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57 imposter

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2016-01-12 18:48
Thats some impressive milage and hope you get some good numbers on the trip. I'm running 3:89 gears with a 3spd OD behind my 292 and I average 17-18 on trips and thought that was great

The old 5.0L EFI with an AOD transmission will deliver very good mileage. 25 +MPG is common in the Mustangs they came in. A friend of mine has one in a 50 Ford with 3.0 gears and gets a consistent 30 MPG. He did this when we were traveling together and fueling at the same time so I watched him put way less gas than me every time. Hope this change will at least get me back to where I used to be.

RICH MUISE

I hope mine does as well on the mpg. I shouldn't be too far away from that. Really happy to hear you haven't had any major issues pop up, sounds and looks like you did it right. several pm's sent tonight, Doug. Now to my thread with MY today's drive!

Wirenut

I too have the aod with a 302 but have not had my fairlane out for any real drive time or pulling any inclines at all. Do you think the  .230 gear ratio is your final set up? I appreciate your post, it's been nice to follow your progress.