News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

morfing a 58 custom into a 57 custom 300

Started by 57 imposter, 2011-11-24 13:38

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

Quote from: gasman826 on 2016-01-28 08:16
I was always frustrated with a leaking AC system.  Most newer systems are charged with leak detector dye in them from the factory.  Unfortunately, previous leaks leave dye behind for years.  Since vehicles last so much longer, O-rings get old and leak.  I hate the process of vacuuming a system and waiting to see in the negative pressure drops.  At best, only 30# of negative pressure can be applied to a system that will generate positive pressure exceeding 250#s!  If one has the leisure time to leave the system under vacuum over night with no pressure loss does NOT guarantee a leak proof system.  The next step would be to charge the system.  Now, you get the glasses and special light out and/or the sniffy thing out and look for leaks.  Two days later, customer brings the vehicle back and is not happy.  All that expensive refrigerant is lost! 

Several years ago, I modified a gauge set hose to accept shop air pressure.  I apply air to an empty system and check
potential leak areas with tire leak detector foam.  If I find a leak, note it and move on.  Often on a older system (or a newly installed system), there may be more than one leak...especially old O-rings.  Over the last winter, one of my systems went from working to having FOUR O-rings needing replacement.  Using shop air is MUCH cheaper and more environmentally responsible than using refrigerant to test a AC system.  Pressure test over night at 175 psi.  Leaks found and evacuate the system and charge with confidence.

If I remember right, O-rings are directional in their sealing... they depend on differential pressure and surrounding mating surfaces design to work. It is not uncommon for O-rings to leak in the opposite direction from design. The pressure test should actually called for in an AC system. Vacuum testing is the second best. Pressurized systems are more inclined to leak under vacuum, kinda of a conundrum.
Lynn

57 imposter

A/C fix will have to wait. Car went off to the upholstery shop today to get the trunk finished. Nothing very fancey, just want it not to look quite so raw. I'm ask going to experiment with a fuel tank vent that will hopefully get rid of the faint gas order in the garage. I'm going to vent it thru a home made activated charcoal canister. won't be a reclaim type. I picked up a 1/2 gallon container of charcoal at the local pond shop now just have to come up with a container that will fit in the limited space I have left under the hood. I found 4" PVC pipe and end caps which would work perfectly if I could hide it but being out in the open, it really looks like a plumbers special. Think I'll keep looking.

Zapato

Some foreign cars have remote power steering tanks that mount on  fenders look almost like the old Ford flathead oil filters.

Zap  :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

57 imposter

Ya I thought about doing some junking [not exactly my favorite sport] but it will have to wait for way better weather than are getting right now. I also have access to some pretty nice stainless tubing and could also make something that wouldn't look too obnoxious. It will have to mount on the right side of the core support so it needs to be at least reasonable looking. since the car is gone, I might look into that option today.

Zapato

Getting tired of the rain myself, if I could figure how to SAFELY  remove the valve out of a disposable propane bottle would use one for a radiator overflow tank.

Zapato

BWhitmore

How about a stainless radiator overflow tank that is easy to mount (often used on hot rods).    Screw on cap with O ring seal.  Easy to fill with activitated charcoal.

RICH MUISE

I've also got a faint fumes odor from my tank vent. Not that it makes any difference, but I had rerouted mine a shorter route than OEM, but ends up in the same spot over the license plate. If I understand, you are going to reroute yours so it vents in the engine compartment?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 imposter

I was going to put the vapor can under the hood but am rethinking that. I think If I duplicate the factory vent line that came off the side of the tank and went up to the top of the inner fender and made a loop back down, I can run it through the body and install the canister, on the frame, somewhere near the rear tire. If I do that, I can just make the canister out of PCV pipe with a couple of glue on caps. After having made a canister out of stainless, I would kind of like to replace my plastic over flow container with the stainless one. 

Zapato

That tank looks great! Where did you come up with the brass fitting for the top?

Zapato

57 imposter

Quote from: Zapato on 2016-02-08 17:38
That tank looks great! Where did you come up with the brass fitting for the top?

Radiator shop $5.00

57 imposter

57 imposter

Finally got the trunk finished, took two tries to get the tire cover right. had a bunch of white left over so had him make it out of that. When I put it in next to all that yellow, it looked like a giant marshmallow sitting in there. of course I was out of yellow so I had to order two more yards to do the new cover. I am not a big fan of contrasting binding so I wish we would have used tan on the carpet binding but I had the material to do it in yellow and it is,after all, A trunk. So I am satisfied with it. ended up making the vapor recovery canister out of ABS and mounted it under the car. I am going to finish the Stainless canister and use it for the radiator overflow. Hope to get the trunk lid back on tonight. 

RICH MUISE

Looks great Doug. I like the contrasting binding.
Now I'm curious about the little ramp shaped thing in the middle/back of the trunk...fuel line clearance? Or is that a '58 something or other?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 imposter

Thats a cover for the in tanks inc. in tank pump. Got the deck lid re mounted and it closed! It's not in perfect adjustment but with a new, very cold gasket, I'm going to count it as a win. I will let it sit for awhile then see if I can get it to look better altho it may take some of that direct Arizona sun heat to get it done.