News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

power steering gear box

Started by jovato8, 2012-04-05 17:17

Previous topic - Next topic

jovato8

1957 Ford 300
I have been trying to figure out how to remove my steering gear box.
Can someone help me?
The manuals that we have here do not seem to cover this.
I need to remove it to get it rebuilt.
It has  a lot of play in it.
Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thank you
Joe

RICH MUISE

Welcome to the site, Joe. There are some experts here on the site that'll chime in on your question quickly, I'm sure. It's been so long since I pulled mine, I can't remember if there were any particular problems doing it...but since you asked the question I'm assuming there is. If I remember correctly the gearbox comes out thru the interior of the car.
The main reason I'm posting this probably insufficient answer is to ask if you have tried to take the play out of it using the adjustment screw at the top of the box.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Pulling the gear box is fairly easy.  First remove the pitman arm or the drag link from the pitman arm.  Remove the shift linkage.  Pull the wire connector apart at the end of the steering shaft on the gear box end (horn wire), and if an automatic the two wires from the safety switch.  Go inside and pull up the carpet on the drivers side, remove the two panels around the steering column on the floor.  Under the dash pull all the wires loose at the connectors (turn signal/brake lights).  Find the two phillips head screws and pull them, you will need to get your hand up in the dash area as the two nuts are loose in there.  Column should now move up and down.  Go back to the gear box and find the three bolts that go through the frame and hold the box in place (outside of the frame rail).  After those are pulled the whole assembly will come out through the interior.  A little twisting and wiggling to get around the pedals ans such and it is out.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

jovato8

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2012-04-05 21:00
Welcome to the site, Joe. There are some experts here on the site that'll chime in on your question quickly, I'm sure. It's been so long since I pulled mine, I can't remember if there were any particular problems doing it...but since you asked the question I'm assuming there is. If I remember correctly the gearbox comes out thru the interior of the car.
The main reason I'm posting this probably insufficient answer is to ask if you have tried to take the play out of it using the adjustment screw at the top of the box.
Rich

Thanks for the welcome Rich.
Yes, the adjustment is already pretty far in, maybe an 1/8 sticking out.

Thank you for your quick reply.

jovato8

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2012-04-05 22:47
Pulling the gear box is fairly easy.  First remove the pitman arm or the drag link from the pitman arm.  Remove the shift linkage.  Pull the wire connector apart at the end of the steering shaft on the gear box end (horn wire), and if an automatic the two wires from the safety switch.  Go inside and pull up the carpet on the drivers side, remove the two panels around the steering column on the floor.  Under the dash pull all the wires loose at the connectors (turn signal/brake lights).  Find the two phillips head screws and pull them, you will need to get your hand up in the dash area as the two nuts are loose in there.  Column should now move up and down.  Go back to the gear box and find the three bolts that go through the frame and hold the box in place (outside of the frame rail).  After those are pulled the whole assembly will come out through the interior.  A little twisting and wiggling to get around the pedals ans such and it is out.

Thanks, Blue Blood
Sounds simple enough.
I have one more question. I hope only one more on this subject.
When I take the gear box in for rebuilt, do I take the whole assembly, colunm and gear box attached.
Or do I have to disconnect the gear box from the column.
Maybe I should just cut the shaft into 2 pcs. and machine an adapter to connect and disconnect the gear box as needed.
It would make it simple I think, to take apart if I need to again.
I do have a complete machine shop and welders that I can use.
Just a thought.

Again, Thank you for your help
Joe

Ford Blue blood

The center shaft is part of the box.  The outer cover slides off fairly easy.  Take the steering wheel off (probably need a puller), loosen the large clamp on the very bottom and the tube will slide off with everything on it.  The steering shaft is an intregle part of the steering box and can not be removed.  The company that is to do the work will expect the full assembly so I'm not sure you would gain anything.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

jovato8

Thank you, Blue Blood and Rich for your help.
This is my 1st. time working on a 57 Ford.
I have a 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 and a 1957 Ford Custom 300.
I recently purchase the 300.
Again, Thanks for the fast replies and your help is greatly appreciated.

Joe

bossguy

Borgeson just put this link on their Facebook page, Bronco restomod steering box install 22 minutes long
http://youtu.be/RS5v_1Lb-JI