News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Steering brakes and sway bars

Started by wkkwleachman, 2012-07-22 19:50

Previous topic - Next topic

wkkwleachman

I'm new to this forum, in fact I don't yet own a 1957 Ford, but I'm doing some homework ahead of time.  I'm looking for a Ranch Wagon and the ones that I drove so far have been a little suspect.  I've read about the Granada spindle modification and I'm concerned that a shorter spindle will upset already compromised handling.  On G cars, of the GM variety they have put the taller camero spindle to give it a better geometry in a turn.  The Granada spindles seem shorter.  Also I am having trouble locating decent sway bars. What is the ideal steering swap?   I've seen the borgenson box change over, no problem with the column change. And also the rack and pinion conversion, what are your best ideals on both of these? Lastly, what are your thoughts on the best 302 AOD conversion, the 96 to 01 Explorer conversion looks good, how much is involved in the wiring and eliminating unncessary parts of a late model harness and is there a place to put a mechanical speedometer in that transmission? 

Thanks for your answers in advance.

Bill

Ford Blue blood

Bill you have an entire build going on here.  There are a number of spindles that will work.  Granada, 73 - 76 Torino, 77 - 79 T-Bird, 70 LTD and some more I'm sure.  Good friend has "Stop & Drop" disc convertion, spindles look a lot like the Granadas I have.  No change in handling.  Read the many threads on steering, 61 - 64 full size steering box direct swap in, Borgeson looks like the way to go for power, the rack set ups reduce the turning radius some and all three require steering column modifications. 

I am in the process of figuring out the 2000 Explorer engine/trans swap right now for my 60 Ranchwagon.  It is not easy!  PAT and vehicle speed are the hitches.  PATs in the 98 and newer computers and vehicle speed comes off the rear end to the computer via the anti lock computer then the GEM modual.  The 4R70W trans is a great trans and is found in a butt load of vehicles and they have the speed-o drive gear on the output shaft through 2002.  It looks like the old GT Mustang HO 302 would be easier.  To make the Explorer 302 compatable with the HO wiring/computer you will need to change the cam shaft to the GT cam, Explorer uses the non-HO firing order.  Right now I am seriously looking at putting a speed density system I have on the engine and get a stand alone computer controller for the trany.

There are a lot of guys on here that have done most everything you have asked about and they will help you out in any way they can.

Bill
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Frankenstein57

Not sure what you drove, but remember these cars are 54 years old. Maybe that's how they were supposed to feel. Doesn't take a whole lot of effort to tighten up the feel.When I got my 58 ranchero it had alot of old stuff on it, I replaced the shocks, control arm bushings, wheels, tires,upgrade of the spindles & brakes, I've had the springs and ball joints out but put them back in. Lastly I found out I had a 57 steering box, I swapped it for a 58 and this car handles awesome.Leaving for the EAA air show in Oshkosh in the morning, Ford car show, can't wait.  Mark

wkkwleachman

Thanks!  Great replies.  I had an old "66 Nova that was a pig around corners until I put a fat Addco sway bar on it.  Man did that wake the car up.  Just trying to do some homework and be sure someone else hasn't done some scary s@#t to it that may leave me in a ditch or worse.  It will be a family cruiser, so I want it safe, no canyon carver, but going around a corner quickly and safely-GOOD, in a ditch-BAD, smoking past a Chevy-PRICELESS.

Ford Blue blood

Forgot...T-Birds Southwest has the sway bar kits that bolt in and work well.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Bill:(wkk)...welcome to the forum. I totally agree with above posts. that awesome info packed response from Bill on the Explorer swap once again left me with that "how little I know" feeling..LOL.
I think particular emphasis should be placed on Mark's great response...most of us here on this foum are old enough to remember what these cars are suppose to feel like because that's what we grew up driving. I'm curious if the cars you have been test driving are project cars, that Mark pointed out are 55 years old and will be expected to be worn out and sloppy, or if they have been restored or ?
The stock configuration suspension on these cars are really a good setup and with a rebuild and a little tweeking (hd sway bar), you're probably going to be happy. Consider the fact that for years Fatman Fabrications didn't make a mustang II clip specifically for these cars because , as I was told, any slight improvement over the stock configuration wouldn't be worth the time or money.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

wkkwleachman

That sounds good to me.  The cars were a regular driver, though a bit long in the tooth, the next was in bad need of an alignment, and I've done my share of mods.  Just trying to figure out, within a budget, the was to go.  There is nothing finer than an older car that rides and handles sweet.  I have a MII under a Willys Jeepster, that was not a great experience, the planar frames are not the best to weld and modify, but with perseverance and a early crude install, not mine, I have it dialed in pretty well.  Not a canyon carver, but a pleasant, tight ride, and good enough to teach both my girls how to drive.  Well balanced for this car.  I also jacked around a "77 Olds 4 dr. behemoth my aunts gave me, and it was serious hauling that around.  I surprised a few dorks with that, it would roll!  So I am only saying, you can't get a silk purse from a sow's ear, but with enough info and patience, good things can happen.  I just would like less trial and error.  I'm too old to go the Edison route, "I have not failed, not once. I've discovered ten thousand ways that don't work."  Hell no!  You guys have a great website  and are greatly appreciated.