News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Steering wheel (again)

Started by FORDNUT, 2013-07-14 08:26

Previous topic - Next topic

FORDNUT

Well, I just finished the swap out of my dead steering box for a 63 Galaxie and not only was it quite easy but I love it. I would like to hear from those folks that have swapped for 15" steering wheels. I modified my 57 column but the horn wire is not a consideration. I would like to know what dish depth you ended up with to compensate for the thickness of the adapter. Did you use a flat wheel or real shallow depth? I do not need the wheel any closer to my belly as there is no room left. (not my fault. It's in the genes). Thanks for any input. 
At my age I am not required to act mature.

jumping jack flash

Yep, It is in the Jeans. I have the same problem.

Ford Blue blood

I did a job for a friend that complained his belly stopped the wheel from returning to center after a turn.  I told him he needed to grow longer legs..... :005:

Given he was in his 70s at the time growing longer legs was not going to happen so I cut down his 50 Chevy column and put in rack and pinion for him.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

jseth83

That's hilarious.  It seems like all the bench seats are a tight squeeze with the old bigger wheels.  Maybe everyone's legs used to be smaller....
57 wagon, sedan, and TBird 
67 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Trueth be known we have gotten taller and bigger over the years.  Used to be the only big people (fat) were the wealthy, men were in the 5' 6" - 5' 8" range in the 30s and 40s.  Now we are 5' 8" - 5' 10" average.  Back then a man 6' was pretty good sized and considered a "giant". 

So, yes it is in the jeans (and genes).... :005:
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

hiball3985

I have a problem with my legs being to long, with the seat all the way back I'm sitting there bow legged with my feet on the gas and clutch :005:. Some day when I pull the seat I'll modify the tracks to go back further. I was 6' 1" at one time, maybe just 6' now  :003:.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Talk about getting hijacked!  This thread has drifted so far left we will have to look right to see the original question!

Back to topic.  Do what you want/need to be able to drive it comfortably.  No fun having a car you can't sit in for a long time without squirming. 

A thing I do when building from scatch is get a couple of cool ones in my little "Barbie Box" (that's a story that could take us out there as well), when I used to smoke I'd grab the pack and just sit, listen to the radio, drink a little, smoke a couple and if things felt good when I had to pee that's where all the stuff stayed!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero