News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Retractable top adjustments

Started by john in minnesota, 2010-02-05 15:52

Previous topic - Next topic

john in minnesota

HELLO TO ALL!!! Just found this forum and I need your help and expertize. I am helping a friend work on a 57 retractable. After some long nights and a few beers we got the top to work. Turns out it was a voltage problem. It runs preety good for a car that has sat for so long. Everything on the top works. Those relays are something else. The hindge is a bit worn on the flip pannel?. Our problem is when the top goes to the full up possition the two pieces fold in toward the interior creating an indent, you know sort of over center. Is there a way to adjust this out? Can hindges be found. Is there a place on the net a guy can find the adjustments? We have a lot of bodywork left to do. Always find more rust as aguy sands. Any help? John

cool57

john in minnesota

Thanks! It seems the skyliner club wants me to join. I really don't want too. I just need info on adjustments. Looking thru this forum, the cars and trucks are top of the line. John

john in minnesota

Does anyone have a retractable? John

Ford Blue blood

John, get the supplimental manual for the retractable.  It has every bit of info you need.  The adjustment is buried under the head liner on the side of the top.  There is a turn buckle type link that makes the front of the roof fold under.  That linkage is hard, saying that the angle, or fit, of the front section is determined by the length of that rod and only that rod.  Too short and the front and rear will have a "hump", too long and the roof section make a valley.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

john in minnesota

Thanks alot!!! I'm going over there this evening. The body work is going preety good. We are making the old guy happy. John

57 Skyliner

Hi John!

My dad purchased our '57 Skyliner in 1969 from the original owner.  He joined the IFRC many years ago. They are a great source of info and, if you owner a retractable, I highly recommend joining the club.  I just recently took ownership of the car.  Also, you can find the 1957 FORD RETRACTABLE SHOP MANUAL on ebay. It is well worth the cost. Good luck with your top!

john in minnesota

We have tried alot of this and that.The hindge is flat out wore out. Still tring to work the problem. Thanks, John