News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Replacing 1957 Ford Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder

Started by Ford_Crazy, 2010-04-07 05:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford_Crazy

Replacing 1957 Ford Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder

I'm posting this topic for anyone who needs to do this in the future. To make all three locks match, I recently had to replace my door and ignition lock cylinders with new parts.  The doors were easy, but the ignition switch was another matter.  The cylinder has a small stud in the top of it that you can clearly see needs to be pushed in to remove it from the switch assembly. I couldn't get it to push in and release, so I called Dennis Carpenter where I bought it.  The tech told me there was a hole in the front of the cylinder where I should use a paper clip to release the lock assembly. I looked at my cylinder and there was no hole.  Another couple of calls and a search on the Internet gave me the answer.  My 57 Ford uses the earlier ignition lock assembly without the small hole in the front. To release the stud you must turn the old key to the accessory position. You can only push this stud in if the lock is in that exact position. Once the stud is in, the lock falls right out.  I was lucky because I had the old ignition key.  If you don't, I suspect you will need to buy a whole new switch and lock assembly.  Hope this helps someone in the future. :burnout:

hivolt5.0

Thank you for posting this!  I'm need to change all of my locks and ignition lock cylinders on my Ranchero and this info will come in handy!

RICH MUISE

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

alstoy

I had the problem of an old Ignition lock with a cylinder without a key. I got a replacement new cylinder/keyset from concours but of course could not get the old cylinder out. After much frustration and not really knowing what to do I took it to an old fashioned Lockmith who got the old cylinder out with no problems. A 'trick of the trade' he told me.

Johnny DelRey

Hi, I just went to change my ignition lock cylinder and armed with this information I was quite frustrated. I kept putting my key to accessory and nothing. That little button thingy wouldn't budge. I sat down withe new cylinder and played around and found the button goes down to release in the ON / RUN position. I just thought I should share this.