News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rocker panel question

Started by CDN.SD, 2010-08-22 12:59

Previous topic - Next topic

CDN.SD

I?m trying to install a set of EMS rockers on the 57 Sedan Delivery I?m working on, and when I have everything fitted the way it seems like it should, I end up with a 4 to 5 degree slope on the top of the rocker, towards the outside of the car. (Both sides are the same) The only way to make them level is with either an excessive amount of inner rocker showing, or a large gap between the inner and outer rockers.

Does anyone know if this is the way it should be (possibly for drainage?) or is something out of whack?
Necessity is the mother of butchery

RICH MUISE

after dinner I'll go out and check mine for the angled top your talking about. The inner rocker supports the outer, so you definetly don't want a gap. The outer rocker needs to sit on top of the inner rocker. More important than whether or not it has a slope is getting the outside profile lined up with the rear quarter lines in a straight line all the way back to the wheel well. You need to make sure it also meets the inner rocker at the bottom as well. I had used an off brand of rockers I had bought before I found out about ems, and I wrongfully assumed what I had was right. I now have to go back on one side and replace or modify the new rocker I had put on as when you sight down the car at the rocker level, it bows in about 3/8". Had I been aware of it from the getgo, I could have reformed the flange to be the correct width.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

O.K.   Mine sit at about a three degree angle sloping down to the outside. Actually this shouldn't be something you can adjust because as I mentioned the outer rocker sits on top of the inner rocker, but also sits under the door posts at both ends, which is what will control your slope, so I'm now wondering how you can be positioning it in different places.I can post a pic of the rocker if it will help...Rich

jdlafayette

Hello, I put these rockers on my hardtop and had to slice and dice them. I added a piece to the bottom where they meet the inner rockers. It's like they weren't wide enough on the bottom to meet the inners so I added a strip. If I clamped them on as they were they left a large gap at the bottom of the door from leaning down too much. I also wish they would have added the factory drains so they would look factory. I welded together my friends 57 chevy 150 and he got rockers that were just like factory in every way. Over the years of doing patch panels I learned to get your gaps and dimensions right and fill in the rest. None of my 57 ford panels fit without a lot of fabrication. Hope this helps, John

CDN.SD

Thanks for the comments.

The inner rockers I?m using are some heavy gauge one piece ones I had bent up that run
all the way from the front of the rear inner wheel well to the front cowl. They are level,
square, and the correct size, but I just couldn?t get the top of the outer rocker to sit level.

The rear door posts are original to the SD, but they?re thin enough that I can?t really tell
much about positioning from them. The fronts, along with the cowl, firewall, and lower
windshield frame, are all from a donor Ranchero, (long story) and they had been ?fixed?
so I don?t really trust them either, so I thought I?d better ask.

EMS seems to be bad for giving extra material where you don?t want it, (IE the top of the
rockers are MUCH wider than they should be to be welded in the original location.) yet
they scrimp on places that you do need, like the bottom of the rear quarters and
apparently, the bottom of the rockers too.

It seems a waste to spend all that money on dies and not finish the job.

RICH MUISE

the ' is right above the ? lol...sorry I couldn't resist it.

CDN.SD

LOL

No, actually it's a copy and paste thing.

When I paste in the text, and even in preview it shows as an ', but when I post it turns into a ?

Did EMS make the script for this board by any chance?

RICH MUISE

believe me i?ve found out the hard way the?re is a lot worse out there than ems for our fords. I chanced buying a headlight surround and fender cap on ebay a few months ago because they were $45. instead of $130. It took about 6 hours of hammer and dolly work to finish forming one headlight surround before it could even be used. In fact if I had planned on installing them as they were from the factory with seams ( I wanted to go seamless), I wouldn't have been able to use them at all. Keep away from anything with a ?made in Dayton, Ohio? label

karaokelars

Frustrating! I have restored several 57 Fords and and am planning on doing more and one of the most frustrating things I have found is the rocker panels, although EMS probably makes the best ones they are far from correct, what really bothers me is the curve on the outside that is not the same as the original the quarter panel curves are the same way not correct in this area, the rockers also do not have the correct curve on the bottom and are missing the drain holes, I bought a set from EMS and was so disappointed I returned them and had a set made using my old rockers for the outside curve. Why can't we find a supplier that will make the correct rockers for these cars? I have been told that EMS used a template from a NOS rocker but they don't fit????

shopratwoody

Mine were made by hand and fit perfect :003:With the use
of a brake I'm sure.
I hate blocksanding!

ems customer service

Quote from: CDN.SD on 2010-08-22 12:59
I?m trying to install a set of EMS rockers on the 57 Sedan Delivery I?m working on, and when I have everything fitted the way it seems like it should, I end up with a 4 to 5 degree slope on the top of the rocker, towards the outside of the car. (Both sides are the same) The only way to make them level is with either an excessive amount of inner rocker showing, or a large gap between the inner and outer rockers.

Does anyone know if this is the way it should be (possibly for drainage?) or is something out of whack?

although this a late reply i will address it anyways.   the top part of the rocker is bent in a 2nd operation which completes the  forming of the "c" channel shape of the rocker, and this is typical of a lot ford rockers,  during warehousing, handling, ups shipping, the panel gets banged up,  it will open up this bend, easier than closing it up.

the 2nd item is the way we percieve installation to take place. after doing my practice fit up i would take weld the top sill into place  or temp pop rivit   and then apply pressure to close the rocker into place,  why? if the rocker is closed up to much it is a lot harder to pull it open then to pull it closed.

if the rocker was opened up to much during shipping "but not damaged to return"  apply pressure with both hands on a smooth surface will close it up.

drain holes like oem costs tooling dollers  can you put a few 1/4 drill holes in cheaper?  yes

i hope this helps

Larry M

It is nice to see a rep. from Ems taking the interest in explaining their side of the story.
As far as the drain holes are concerned, I would like to see them included. And yes I
would gladly pay more to have them included.
I am going to find a way to duplicate the factory drain holes, because I do not want
someone to be able see the rocker panels have being replaced by just a quick glance
at the bottom of the rockers

hogwagon

The subject of quality, price and availability here seems to be Paramount. I attended the Denver swap meet yesterday on a information mission more that shopping as we are still in the process of clearing and cleaning on our car. There was a vendor with restore panels there that did not look to be very thick or crisp stamps. Made in Taiwan  tags had me keep moving. We have a motorcycle shop and have learned about the quality of this sheetmetal the hard way before. I think these projects deserve the best possible as I don't see us selling any projects built to enjoy at this stage of life on any car that has made it this far with us.

iamflashman

Quote from: Larry M on 2011-02-06 12:17
It is nice to see a rep. from Ems taking the interest in explaining their side of the story.
As far as the drain holes are concerned, I would like to see them included. And yes I
would gladly pay more to have them included.
I am going to find a way to duplicate the factory drain holes, because I do not want
someone to be able see the rocker panels have being replaced by just a quick glance
at the bottom of the rockers

I duplicate the stock drain holes by using a dremmel tool with 1" cut off wheel.  You cut a small slot and then insert a screw driver and bend the hole to the right shape.  It makes perfect factory looking drains.  Hope this helps!
1957 Ford Convertible 428CJ/Tremec TKO
1957 Ford Ranch Wagon 5.0L EFI/AOD - sold :(
1964 Fairlane 500 Thunderbolt clone
1958 Edsel Bermuda

1957 ________________ Ford
\___((_______________))___/
(@)________V__________(@)
[________I_____I_________]
__[__]__ o_______o___[__]___