News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Replacement for over head dome light switch.

Started by VwDrvFnd, 2014-03-13 11:17

Previous topic - Next topic

VwDrvFnd

What is everyone using as a replacement for the overhead dome light switch?

I have the Bezel, lens, buld holder and wiring but con not for the life of me find a replacement for the stock slider switch that screws to the bezel.

Anybody????
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

petew

They show up on ebay from time to time. I found an nos replacement switch about this time last year. Pretty basic item that probably fits many years. Other option is a used one of the used parts sellers listed here on the forum

petew

There is a used one on ebay right now auction #350590952540 or just do a search for 1957 Mercury Dome Light (same light as in your Ford)

Pete

RICH MUISE

VW...while looking for some parts for Pete, I found my old dome light, pitted badly and broken, but I checked the switch with a continuity tester, and it works. If you haven't already found one, PM me your address and I'll mail it to you.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

VwDrvFnd

Thanks Rich! i went to hook everything up yesturday with a 12 volt toggle switch and some foil around the fuse. blub lit up and then nothing but smoke! i have a major short some where i think its up by the opening on the back of the cab. The door switches are shot and i am pretty sure most of the wiring is.
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

RICH MUISE

Sounds like a good time for a complete harness. Doesn't get any better than Ron Francis.

VwDrvFnd

Yes a complete harness would be the ticket! But without a place to do the work in and access to a lift its not something I can physically do myself. Its hell working out of a single car garage and your driveway.
I hope you got my PM!

RICH MUISE

I did get your pm..sorry I should have let you know. I got Pete's also. I'll get them both in the mail tommorrow.

RICH MUISE

I got it mailed today, you should have it by thursday.

VwDrvFnd

Rich, Got it in the mail this morning, looks great! THANKYOU VERY MUCH!  Now all i have to do is wait for the new door switches and do the rewiring and it will be back in action!

BTW i noticed in the thread about the body plugs, you have CHROME door switches. do you mind sharing where you got those and if they are 2 wire like the stock ones?

RICH MUISE

I got them from Ron Francis. I had bought new ones a few years ago from Classic auto parts in OK city, but those literally fell apart due to poor crimping on the backside of that chrome ring. The Ron Francis ones are much better quality for not too much more money.
Here's a link: http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DJ%2D23
The button on mine is black plastic..hard to tell in the pic. I also noticed the Ron Francis Wiring pic shows a brassy color on the ring, so not sure what you'll actually get. I got mine 2 years ago. I thought I had paid less than 10 each..maybe not.

VwDrvFnd

i am not really sure what happened here??? :iamwithstupid:

RICH MUISE

Ha..looks like we found another supplier component difference. My housing had two small (4-40?)taped holes on the side of  two squarish bosses, not round like yours that are drilled and tapped on the ends. Actually looking at yours and mine, they are totally different. My domelight  attaches to the car with spring clips, not screws like yours, and mine has a non-replaceable lens as it's all riveted together with the lens sandwiched between the housing and the mounting bracket.
HMMM.

VwDrvFnd

My lens and bezel are plastic repop parts. I think this is the problem. I have seen original bezels on ebay that are as you described. My repop lens even came with instructions for grinding down the factory rivets and drilling holes for the new screws.

I guess i am just going to bust out the JB WELD and make it work! I have put to much time and energy into this damn dome light! I am about to say screw it and bolt in one form a Bronco!

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-03-20 09:37
Ha..looks like we found another supplier component difference. My housing had two small (4-40?)taped holes on the side of  two squarish bosses, not round like yours that are drilled and tapped on the ends. Actually looking at yours and mine, they are totally different. My domelight  attaches to the car with spring clips, not screws like yours, and mine has a non-replaceable lens as it's all riveted together with the lens sandwiched between the housing and the mounting bracket.
HMMM.

RICH MUISE

Just a heads-up...I had to get Bill(Ford Blue Blood) to figure out how to wire up my domelight because, if I remember, newer cars switch ground, not the power, so when you use a newer domelight it cannot be grounded to the roof like the '57's are. Really confuses things when you have the door switches and, at least in my case, the headlight switch. Seems like I had all kinds of wires running everywhere for a simple light change. LOL...hope I got it right, probably didn't! I had used a domelight out of a 90's Crown vic.