News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

replacement steering box

Started by Raven Rider, 2015-03-17 10:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven Rider

1964 ford Galaxie 500 XL non power steering gear box with the pitman arm will this work for my 57 RW? I know i will have to modify the steering shaft for it to mount up.  The guy wants $90 shipped for the pair is that a good enough deal? 

lalessi1

I have an '59 Edsel box that looks a lot like the newer Ford boxes. I looks like it will fit to me. It is a lot larger so I don't know about clutch or shift linkage clearance. I am running a '58 box now, a definite improvement. If you want I can shoot some pics next to the '57 box I have.
Lynn

Raven Rider

I know the 58 box is an improvement but I can't seem to find one that I know is good

Ford Blue blood

Yes the 64 box will fit, it is a bolt in.  Get the pitman arm, splices are different between the two years but the taper is good for the drag link.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

You can have the box I have for the shipping charge if you are so inclined. The shaft is integral to the box and the column is almost identical to the '57.
Lynn

Raven Rider

Lynn which box are you referring to?

lalessi1

I am referring to the Edsel box. I believe it is the same as the later Ford boxes but the steering shaft is integral like the 57 box. It looks like a bolt in. Here are some pics: (I will post them separately)
Lynn

lalessi1

In the previous picture, the pitman arm looks different,  but it is the picture angle.
Lynn

lalessi1

Last picture. The shafts are the same length from the center of the box, about 38". All I think you would need to do is cut the column. Shift linkage?.... I don't have a clue. Once again the picture angle makes the Edsel shaft appear longer.
Lynn

Ford Blue blood

The Edsel box is identical to a 58 box.  It will bolt in.  Only difference is the 57 shaft is hollow and the horn wire runs down through it, the 58 shaft is solid.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

Actually the Edsel box is quite a bit larger that the 58 box. The 58 box is vey compact, closer to the 57 box in overall size.
Lynn

rmk57

Has anyone tried adopting something a little more modern like Torino, Mustang, Cougar...?
There certainly more available than early 60's 50's  Galaxies, and look to be more compact than the original.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

hiball3985

My 58 box is quite a bit bigger then the 57 and looks just like the Edsel one pictured..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

rmk57

Small series or large series Edsel?  Maybe there was a difference.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

lalessi1

Thats a good question. A friend gave me the entire steering column, box, steering wheel and all. I recall the cars looked similar in size to a 59 Galaxie. I don't know what model the car was. I was looking for turn signal horn stuff at the time.
Lynn