News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rocker drain hole location?

Started by rar1947, 2016-07-30 21:42

Previous topic - Next topic

rar1947

Hello all,
I'm looking to see if someone has or can take a picture of the bottom of the rockers to see where the drain holes are located. Got caught in a heavy downpour tonight and had a lot of water in the rear footwell. After pulling all the carpet to dry and cleaning up the mess I started to look into where it came from. Someone replaced the rockers(not the best job) before I got it and noticed there aren't any drain holes in the actual rocker to let the water drain from the rear quarter windows. Seems they should be in the rockers as well. I have a 58 but image a 57 would still be the same. Haven't been able to pull the rear side panel yet to see if they are clogged with junk too but no drain in the rockers has me worried. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

RICH MUISE

Funny...I just realized one side of mine doesn't have holes either...the other side is not oem hole pattern. If I remember correctly, there is a drain plug on the inner rear quarters as well.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

Business coupe quarter windows shouldn't leak.  I haven't seen a replacement rocker with drain holes.  I would think working drain holes would be necessary.  I don't think as many as OEM would be necessary.

lalessi1

Well the first one is 6" from the front edge and the are 15" apart. They are not round holes, see the pic... Hope this is what you are looking for, my car is a 2dr Custom.
Lynn

rar1947

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. Lynn, that's exactly what I needed, thank you! My dad has a 64 I was able to reference as well and looks to be the same design. I think the problem I had was when they replaced the rocker they didn't put a cap on the front of them so it acted like a scoop to catch all the water from the tires, plus I went through a few big puddles that probably compounded the problem.

Not a business coupe so the quarter Windows aren't sealed and do let water leak down the outside. The scoop affect with no drains I think just let so much water in so fast that it couldn't drain and backed up into the rear footwells. The car will eventually get the body re-worked and will be fixed but for now I'll just make some temporary caps for the rockers and add a few holes. I've heard of people just drilling a hole and taking a punch or something similar to bend the metal and create the louvered design. Probably be ok with just holes for now though.

Thanks again

RICH MUISE

Off subject, but I looked at the rear window also after Gary made that comment, and I also thought it looked like the rubber seal ala business coupe. So, it does have roll-up back windows?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rar1947

Yep, roll up back windows. My 3 year likes to cruise around with the window down. Must be a weird angle casting a shadow.

Ray

Rocker drains should have small "v" cuts in the center of the bottom of the rocker. Also, rocker panels should have a "V" shape to the bottom of the panel. That allows the rocker to collect and drain water. None of the commercially available panels I have seen have either of these. Some of the rear quarter repair panels do. Check carefully. Also, any good ford restorer/bodyman will know and should be able to take care of the necessary modifications.
When I have a chance, I will post photos of replacement panels as shipped and after modification.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

rar1947

Ray, please do post those pictures as I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be interested in how you modified them.