News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Resister

Started by 1958ford, 2021-04-10 18:49

Previous topic - Next topic

1958ford

Anyone know what the resister on the firewall is used for.  Can it be eliminated?  Could it be relocated under the dash.  Rather unattractive where it is from the factory.
1958 Ford Fairlane 500 390, 1968 Cougar, 1969 428 SCJ mustang

Fairlane62

The one on upper driver side firewall is the ignition voltage resistor to reduce voltage to the points.  You need a resistor if you are keeping points system.  If its too ugly, you could change to a resistor wire like was used in mid 60s and 70s .

1958ford

If you go to a electronic ignition like Protronics, could you eliminate the risister? 
1958 Ford Fairlane 500 390, 1968 Cougar, 1969 428 SCJ mustang

81TTA

This might vary by the different manufacturers.  But, any of the aftermarket systems I've seen want 12 volts to the coil all the time.  So, the resistor gets removed.

abe_lugo

I would keep the resistor in line.  In case you burn up your electronic ignition and need to test it with some points when are you get stuck on the road.  Maybe keep the points and resistor in a small parts box in the trunk?   

I added electronic ignition to my old Cadillac and Kept the resistor. If you don't like the looks of it just move it out of sight or cover.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

thomasso

You could use a 57 resistor which bolts to the intake with one of the coil cap screws.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.